NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Laptop Help . .

Hi again all . .

Does anyone happen to have a PACKARD BELL SJ51B008 or something similer or just know if you can change it to XP From Vista Without driver problems.? Or Does it even come with a driver disk?

As i need XP To run the programes i need for the ToUcam etc . . But my laptop i use at the moment Uses Vista. And i am looking to buy a PACKARD BELL SJ51B008.

Thanks

Luke

Its a good idea to find out what hardwares installed and trawl the net for drivers for the OS your planning to install before you start...

There will be times when there arent any drivers for certain hardware and certain OS'es and laptops can soemtimes be a real PITA - Sony's wouldn't upgrade using "off the shelf" versions of Microsofts OS'es a pain when you were trying to upgrade from XP Home to XP Professional to add a machine to a domain...

Billy...

check out using something like microsoft Virtual PC, vmwares vmplayer etc. Lets you run an operating system(s) inside your host operating system. Doddle to set up too. SUN do another one too, but the name escapes me and I'm not near my Linux PC right now. Only gotcha is that none of the current VM software gives you full access to the Hardware 3d (for game playing etc). But I merrily run Photoshop inside a VM.

Works good for most things, manage to use SKype video inside a VM without trouble.

of course YMMV depending on exactly what you are tring to do, and I wouldn't attmept it on Vista and XP without 2gb+ of ram.

Might not have been clear, the point being you start your laptop as normal and then 'run' XP inside a window (you can make it fullscreen though)like a normal application, you have access to vista and xp running at the same time. This is pretty much how I work all the time, keeps the 'host' operating system clean as I only install software in the virtual PC.

You can install programs on XP and make them operate thinking that they're on a Me/2000/98 or 95 machine. I assume Vista has this same facility.

All you need do is install the program(s), restart your computer (to make sure they're properly installed) then right-click the icon for the program > click properties > click compatability tab > check the 'run in compatability mode' box and select xp or earlier.

Technically this should do the job but I have never had any sucess with it, may work for yours though if it has the feature.

As i need XP To run the programes i need for the ToUcam etc . . But my laptop i use at the moment Uses Vista. And i am looking to buy a PACKARD BELL SJ51B008.

Thanks

Luke

If you are buying a laptop can you not ask for it to come without an operating system? or ask for XP instead of Vista?

Personly I havent had any issues using vista, I would search out newer drivers for the toucam and updates for the software you use, even buying a new SP900 would work out cheaper and IMHO more sensible than installing XP.

I currently use :

QG video

registax

photoshop

PHD guide

Redshift 6

All without issue on vista, also my SP900 worked fine on Vista as well.

Thanks again . . But you cannot find a XP laptop no where these days unless refurbished or 2nd hand. But sadly my laptop has died 2 days ago for no reason at all . . took it in for repairs and the price for a new motherboard and processor could be very costly - £250 ! So i am now selling for spares or repair ( if feeling brave )

So now i need a new laptop i mance well go for a Referbed XP.

Luke

Strangely I bought a Packerd Bell preloaded with Vista for my eldest son. He needed a downgrade to XP to run certain games.

I found it would downgrade to XP very easily apartr from one driver ( which was a nightmare to get as it was really hard to know what it was that was missing ) it was actually an obscure ATI Radeon driver to control power settings. Found it in the end. It didnt affect the machines performance in anyway but it was a nuisance with every boot seeing the message that there was new hardware installed etc etc. I could disable it in the profile but I hate those sorts of fixes and like everything to be just so.

I couldnt tell you what model of Packeard Bell it was but its only a few months old.

Have you tried PC World business? I know they sell systems with XP loaded not vista (and you can be an individual and still register as a business). That's what I was going to do, until I decided to get a system built by a local shop.

Helen

Worth looking at Dixons refurb stock - thats where I got mine from. Mostly stock thats been sent out, customer has opened it and then decided they didn't want it. Mine turned up just like new, seriously good spec and about 40% less than a new one.

They have refurb and returned stock listed and they claim ( and I'd believe ) that its all pretested to make sure its a runner and with a full warranty too.

Archived