Skymax 90

Tempted to grab one of these to stick on my star adventurer for some planet and moon images. Anyone here have any experience with this. Is this a good idea or is there something better? I'm waiting for the SW ed72 to come back in stock for some wider field fun but thought this might keep me busy until then.

Thoughts. 

It's probably one of the better options for planetary which will sit comfortably on the SA mount. This chap images with the Celestron badged version the C90 so you can see what you think:#

8 minutes ago, emadmoussa said:

Don't you need a bigger aperture for planetary imaging?

I'm not really looking for great detail. Managed to get fuzzy pic of Jupiter and 2 moons last night with my canon 760d and 55-250 cheap canon lens and for the price of the skymax 90 thought it might be a bit of fun. 

17 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

I'm not really looking for great detail. Managed to get fuzzy pic of Jupiter and 2 moons last night with my canon 760d and 55-250 cheap canon lens and for the price of the skymax 90 thought it might be a bit of fun. 

Been there. But you'll eventually seek improvement, better contrast, more details...etc. Human nature, I think. You could probably get a 200mm reflective telescope. It's fairly light, reasonably priced, and produces good details of planets. It's not grab and go, though, like the C90. 

1 hour ago, emadmoussa said:

Been there. But you'll eventually seek improvement, better contrast, more details...etc. Human nature, I think. You could probably get a 200mm reflective telescope. It's fairly light, reasonably priced, and produces good details of planets. It's not grab and go, though, like the C90. 

needs to fit onto my star adventurer mount. need it portable.

1 minute ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

What were the camera settings for this pic?

The image was taken with my 650D on AV mode, the ISO was set at 200 and shutter speed about 1/200 seconds but was using a chipped T adapter which allows you to dial in a fake f/number so that the live view image matches the exposed image. You can experiment with other modes though but keep the ISO between 200-400 and shutter speed to suit.

Alan

32 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

How does the chipped adapter work? 

The chipped adapter is basilically the same as the standard EOS to T one but allows for the focus confirm circuit (beep and red light in viewfinder) to work with a scope, the chip also simulates a lenses f/ratio setting so tricking the camera exposure metering rather than giving you the standard value of zero with no camera lens fitted , this is also very handy for daytime photography if using an old manual M42 lens.

Search for EOS focus confirm T adapter and you should find some.

Alan

Archived