NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dance of the Seven Veils......

Over the last couple of clear nights, although the Moon has been pretty much full,  I have been putting my recently acquired ATIK 414ex Mono through its paces.

The Veil  ( NGC 6960 ) is a great target, and so I thought I would give ALL   my  current filters a quick blast at it,  funnily enough I have seven of them.... L,R,G,B,Ha,Oiii and Sii.

I have previously imaged with a modded DSLR and was a little unsure of how much a mono camera could bring to the table. 

Hopefully the next couple of graphics will display it's potential to any new imagers out there.

The Seven Veils.

1246137673_DANCE7veilsSGL1.jpg.7968ba6d3919142d2b86df59aaea9cea.jpg

The Dance......

1879592792_DANCE7veilsSGL2.jpg.a0b2807c844a015dd8a1df1d2273b57c.jpg

The scope was an Orion Optics  150mm F4 Newtonian on a belt modded HEQ5 with Lacerta Mgen guider.

Regards,

Sean.

That's an interesting comparison, certainly shows the power of NB to get a usable image under less than ideal conditions.

Like the SHO image. Done similar myself but with [NII] substituting for [SII].

@DaveS...... an Nii filter.??...... I may need to check that out.   That would then be the 'eightfold way'  !!!!

@MarsG76 .......  Yes, the Hubble is the poster shot,  'real'  yet at the same time 'unreal'.

@tooth_dr  ........  the new camera is great.   Can't wait til the dark nights come around  and get some of smaller galaxies in RGB.  There are quite a few to choose from.

How's your ATIK  getting along ?  Last I heard, you had a glass of red wine in hand whilst making preliminary calibrations !!

The [NII] filter is a bit "special". The HII and [NII] lines are so close together that you need 3nm Astrodons to separate them (And even then there's about 15% overlap), wider bandwidth filters just lump them together.

Make sure you're sitting down before checking how much 3nm Astrodons cost :eek:.

3 hours ago, DaveS said:

Make sure you're sitting down before checking how much 3nm Astrodons cost :eek:.

Blimey !! ........   that's the same price per filter as all my  seven put together.

Yep, which is why I won't be buying any more, the 4 I have already were bad enough at £385 each when I bought them back in '15, they're now even sillier money.

When I buy more filters (Possibly 2" for a 16200 cam) they'll be Astronomik 6nm, together with the matching LRGB set.

Archived