NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

camera on telescope

Hi I would like advice as how to get quality photo's of Jupiter,Mars etc,using my Skywatcher 127 scope,and 

attaching my Nikon D5300,should I use a eye piece in the scope ? I have the super 25 wide angle,a meade super Plossl 9.7mm multi coated,

a super 10mm and the 2x Barlow Lens.

Mars is going to be worth trying to get some features.

Would using the eye pieces make so much difference ?, Thanks for any advice.

53 minutes ago, KAYCE said:

Hi I would like advice as how to get quality photo's of Jupiter,Mars etc,using my Skywatcher 127 scope,and 

You best option to image planets is a dedicated planetary imager like in my case a Skyris 618C or Imaging source DMK21au618 or similar like a ZWO CMOS planetary camera. A DSLR will do not do the best job of capturing planetary data due to the compression while capturing video. Video is necessary to get the best detail.

59 minutes ago, KAYCE said:

ttaching my Nikon D5300,should I use a eye piece in the scope ? I have the super 25 wide angle,a meade super Plossl 9.7mm multi coated,

a super 10mm and the 2x Barlow Lens.

Mars is going to be worth trying to get some features.

Would using the eye pieces make so much difference ?, Thanks for any advice.

What you're describing is projection method imaging. I find that by using just native focal length or with a barlow alone for more magnification does a better jop than projection through a eyepiece. The DSLR will reach focus without an eyepiece.

Your best bet with Mars would be to use a dedicated planetary imaging camera and a barlow lens... if the dust storm settles down.

This is what I use with my D3200.

647719792_D3200withTringandadaptor.jpg.1de0c58232cec3cc668999bba6bc6c41.jpg

The t-ring is a standard one for Nikon DSLRs, and If the 'scope does not allow me to achieve focus, I have a x2 Barlow lens that has the same body style as the T to 1.25" adaptor. The camera will need to be used in manual mode, just play with the ISO settings and shutter speed until you get a good set of stills or a short video.

Geoff

Archived