Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Crescent Nebula: Hubble Palette (First ever mono attempt)

So thanks to @Marky1973   I now have an ATIK 414ex Mono.  Thanks Mark, what a great camera.

I got some second hand narrowband filters and an EFW2.    I was a bit daunted at first and felt out of my depth with all the wires trailling all over the tripod, but then all of a sudden the 180 sec exposures came rolling in, and the justification of the whole venture just popped right out of the laptop screen.

So this is my first real Narrow band photo.  I have tried to use a modded DSLR with NB filters in the past with interesting results, but nothing quite like this on the sensitivity front.

Details.  Scope:  Orion Optics 150mm F4 Newtonian on HEQ5 (belt mod)

Camera. Atik 414ex mono

H-alpha:  48x3mins

O3:  12x3mins

S2:  10x3mins.

Image: DSS >>PS  (Annies actions)   and cropped.

796433194_CRESCENTHSTimagerecrop.thumb.jpg.e68e60d1f8de5d5ef070344eb171b19f.jpg

This was taken over the last 2 nights with   95+ % Full Moon !!!!

Thanks for looking.

Sean.

Thanks,  indeed I was very surprised when it popped out of the PS Macro.....never quite got those nebulous ribs with the DSLR.

It does make you appreciate just how good and dedicated the masters of the 'art' are at what they do.   I'd hate to think what the shape of my outer stars look like, but for now I don't care.

It's a different approach to imaging.   More of a campaign to achieve an image rather than a battle.   I am looking forward to the long dark nights of Winter and bagging the faint and elusive DSO's.

Must admit, the ATIK is a no-nonesense machine that does the job. I am very impressed by it.

How are you getting on with your ATIK    @tooth_dr   ??

1 hour ago, Craney said:

Thanks,  indeed I was very surprised when it popped out of the PS Macro.....never quite got those nebulous ribs with the DSLR.

It does make you appreciate just how good and dedicated the masters of the 'art' are at what they do.   I'd hate to think what the shape of my outer stars look like, but for now I don't care.

It's a different approach to imaging.   More of a campaign to achieve an image rather than a battle.   I am looking forward to the long dark nights of Winter and bagging the faint and elusive DSO's.

Must admit, the ATIK is a no-nonesense machine that does the job. I am very impressed by it.

How are you getting on with your ATIK    @tooth_dr   ??

Currently out with it and a glass of red wine.  It’s still pretty bright.  I’m waiting on adapters so currently working with a 1.25” nosepiece I found in my kit box. 

Nice!   The glory of narrowband is that it seems to cut through terrestrial and lunar light pollution like a knife through butter.  Image all month long!   As it stand, I've only got a Ha filter but I definitely want the other two.  Your photo is driving my need-to-buy a little bit more ?

Cheers Mikey.

I am more than happy with the results so far.  I'm not a perfectionist, or a 'pixel-peeper', I just like being out under the stars.  If a particular scope or technique can reveal a bit more about the Universe, then that adds to the adventure and makes me happy.

There are many on here who can offer better advice than me, but personally I would buy the OIII filter next and try you hand at the Bi-colour images.  The Sulphur-II does not seem to yield much new data from objects I have imaged so far, and so with the nights being so short, I tend to not to use it very much.  Maybe in Winter I can give it some extended runs.

Right, then, back into the garden... another clear night......need to research a new target.

Good luck with the progression. Post the images and let us know how you get on.

Regards,

Sean.

Archived