Hi all

I am new to this and read as many of the forum topics I could before posting a question, well 2 questions. Sorry if this is posted somewhere already.

1) I currently have a powerseeker 114eq with the standard 22mm, 4mm and 3x barlow. I also have a cannon t6 dslr. I was looking at t mounts and adapter and it mentioned I would need a barlow as well. Can I use the barlow I already have?

2) I plan on using this telescope and camera for a while but was wondering what a good upgrade would be to replace the 114eq. With a newborn my budget is smaller than I'd like so say under $400?

I had a Powerseeker scope in the past, I don't recommend them.

I don't remember the quality of the barlow that comes with powerseekers, but its probably not that high. Luckily you can get barlows that are good for visual astronomy pretty cheaply, but I don't know how good they would be with cameras.

If you want to get into astrophotography, you need to decide which you want to photograph, planets or deep sky objects. Planets would be cheaper, but people with more experience could advise you further.

You have nothing to lose by trying the Barlow you already have first. I would agree that the stock Barlow will probably not be as good as for example a TAL. 

For DSO imaging that is a very small budget. Your main priority should be a good equatorial mount. For lunar/planetary the mount is not so critical.

Not sure about planetary imaging being cheaper - for planetary you need a big scope and that comes at a price.  If you want to start out on astrophotography with a Canon DSLR I would consider something like a Skywatcher ED80 on an equitorial mount but I don't think that you'll get that for the budget mentioned.

Peter

sounds like the minimum that you'll need to give it a go, is a T-Ring adapter for your camera, then a T-mount to 1.25" eyepiece adapter.

This way you plug in like this....

1. Camera

2. T-Ring for Canon EOS    - Something like this.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-EOS-T-Ring-Revelation/dp/B0039ZHWYK

3. T-Thread to 1.25" adapter - Something like this. https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/t-adaptor-1.25.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwjtLZBRDLARIsAKT6fXyRss2TvN4jIzsFs4F3sRq0JKWMlWxku9bcQTigQK4kM1Kio5YnbQoaAu71EALw_wcB

4. Barlow lens

5. Telescope.

Thanks again for the feedback. I've always been fascinated with astronomy and am really just getting started. Would love to go out and buy something amazing buuuuttttt time and money lol..will definitely start with the t2 and adapter.

Also this is a cell phone shot of my computer screen, so a little wavy, but this is the first photo I took of the moon with my cannon t6..no processing

20180626_195841.jpg

Archived