Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Summer Planets

Hi,

Wasn't quite sure whether to put this in observing or imaging, I went for imaging as this was the main purpose of the session.

Since I bought an Optic Star 90s, I've been doing a lot more planetary observing and imaging. I find DSO imaging is very stressful this time of year, as there isn't enough time to get everything set up and working before it gets light again! :D 

Did a quick session last night from about 1:00 onwards, as I wanted to see Saturn and Mars though the new 90S Gold. Saturn was very clear, with good stable seeing, I could clearly see an Equatorial Band under the rings, and the Cassini Division was very clear. Titan was visible below and to the left. I've noticed a massive difference between planetary views with my old 130 f7, 130PDS, and then the refractor, I don't quite understand it as the 90S is, after all, quite a low-end achro but I;m not complaining! :D Even stars appear way sharper and pin-pointed. My only criticism of the scope is the focuser, which sticks a bit, although the issue goes away entirely when using the 1/10th speed roller.

I then put the asi120 in and got some video with and without the SW 2x barlow.

sat1.jpg.981195752d9930dc9b7a104bf098423b.jpg

sat1barlow.jpg.8e37a925bd15ecd44805452d2f66df15.jpg

Then I moved on to Mars. I was immediately struck by the sheer size of the planet. It was almost the size of Saturn with its rings. I was expecting some good detail, but sadly it was still too low. Never mind, early days with the opposition so it should improve! :) The slight gibbous shape was clear, and I was just about able to make out a faint darker patch below the south pole, (south on top ?) and a quite clear South polar cap (if im correct that south is the top). The polar cap was improved by using a blue planetary filter, it appeared to be roughly oval shaped, with some irregularity, but the seeing was poor at the low alt angle, so it was difficult to tell. Give it a couple of weeks, and I ought to be able to get some better results! :)

mars1barlow.jpg.2015c4908edc445f5fe15bc0f1712a0a.jpg

John

Archived