NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Just Bought Skywatcher 1145 What Lenses Now?

Just got myself the above scope, really really pleased. Shame it has been so cloudy, however managed to get some cool views of the moon and some stars breifly last night, just praying the clouds disappear this evening.

Anyway, I remember reading somewhere that the next thing I should invest in should be some good lenses, currently I have the 3 factory standard lenses (a barlow, 10mm and 25mm). So could anyone recommend any lenses that may be a worthwhile investment?

Hello "Lord Love Rocket!" and welcome to Stargazers Lounge.

Cracking little scope you have there!

I would second "Doc" in recommending the "Revelation" set of eyepeices and filters (all in a case).

At £89 it represents very good value. All the eyepieces are good quality "Plossls" and you get a set of useful filters - especially the Moon filter.

If you bought a set of three individual eyepieces (and a Moon filter) of good quality, you would be likely to pay anything from £130 to £180 easily.

Best wishes,

philsail1

I have been buying meade 4000 series super plossls and they seem to be very good. On e bay they typically go for £15 to £25 each...I would go for 32mm and a good celestron barlow (about £25 again) to start and then get a 9mm so you would then have 32/16/9/4.5 with the barlow.

I can certainly say to spend a bit more on the eyepieces as you can keep them as you change scopes so you will regret it if you do not go for reasonable quality. Avoid any unbranded items.

Then go to maplin and buy their £10 aluminium case.

just be careful if you are buying new meade 4000 eyepieces off ebay. A while ago there were sets being sold at silly prices and rumours that they were fakes. I bought a set :oops: and my fairly uneducated guess is that they are seconds not fakes but I don't think they are completely kosher. you might well be safer buying second hand and check out astrobuysell too.

Hey guys thanks for the replies I really appreciate it. It is still cloudy here and I am so desperate to get out there, don't look like I will see much tonight.

Anyway, Doc, think I might go for that set.

Just a quick newbie question though, by buying a better than stock lens am I right in assuming that I wont get any increase on the magnification say against a top of the range 25mm lens against my stock 25mm version however I should get better clarity.

Plossols, could someone explain?

Also, are all barlows the same or again you can get better versions.

Finally, does anyone know of a hints and tips page for the absolute beginner to help with some pointers.

Once again thanks for all your input, it really is appreciated.

The magnification on your scope will be the same for all 25mm eyepieces but that about all, eyepieces vary significantly in the field of view etc , a meade super plossl is a good standard eyepiece but of course you can pay well over £200 for a new wide field of view lens. Barlows are of very different qualities so look again for a branded multicoated lens that is not a shorty type...

I agree that astro buy and sell is safer but it is often more expensive. I think if you stick to people on ebay who have sold over 50 items and have >99% feedback you should be fairly! safe. After all what these days is certain....apart from cloud coming in each night you have time to watch the sky..

Archived