Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ZWO 1.25″ Atmospheric Dispersion Corrector / ADC how good are they

hi after a previous thread about the very lack of quality trying to capture jupiter ,the above has been mentioned a couple of times,but how good are they,any comments /suggestions appreciated as always cheers

a screen shot of a typical frame

jupiter.thumb.jpg.b9fb02b3d7eb555c69b6a995c5892e7b.jpg

I have a ZWO ADC, and although it can be a bit of a faff setting it up right, it can help getting out a little more detail when planets are low in the sky. I have only ever used them with a colour camera (ASI224MC), and only that allows me to use FireCapture's RGB alignment tool with which I can tweak settings until the R, G, and B images overlap. In theory, it should also help a little in reducing dispersion within one colour band in a mono camera, but I am not sure how I would adjust the ADC in that case

I think they are very good and excellent value for money compared to other options out there. You can visibly see the difference it makes, particularly if you look around the edges.

I'm sure there is a better way of setting them up but I find a bit of trial and error usually finds the point at which the colour fringing / smearing reduces.

I'll have to try the FireCapture RGB alignment tool - that sounds useful!

Archived