Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help for planetary newby please

Andywilliams

Hi all,

i had my first go at Jupiter the other evening and I’m obviously doing something wrong.....but I can’t work out what it is !

mak 127 with a canon 1000d at prime focus.

backyard Eos clips with x5 

pipp and stacked in registax.

i have tried to get any kind of detail out of this in photoshop but am unable.

despite turning my iso down to 100 the video clip itself seems well overexposed as does the pipp output and the registax stack .

how do I stop it down anymore at the source? I just don’t seem to be able to do anything with it this blown out?

as ever, all advice is humbly and gratefully received

cheers,

Andy

DB743580-25A4-4742-A209-6EB05C295EBF.jpeg

What shutter and aperture settings are you using? It seems you should be able to cut down the glare by increasing the shutter speed in manual mode on the camera (oops, aperture is fixed at prime focus ?).

Hope this helps,

Reggie

5 minutes ago, orion25 said:

What shutter and aperture settings are you using? It seems you should be able to cut down the glare by adjusting either (or both) of those settings in manual mode (reducing the aperture, increasing the shutter speed). 

Hope this helps,

Reggie

Thanks Reggie,

I was using the planetary movie clips in backyard Eos....I must say that I didn’t pay too much attention to those settings As I am not sure how to adjust those when the scope is at prime focus? 

With a Mak 127 attached to the camera body of course there's no in-lens aperture as such, unless I'm missing something. You could jury-rig one by making up a lens-cap with a hole (offset to avoid the scope's central obstruction). Other controls might include reducing ISO and perhaps using the Neutral Density feature on the camera (not sure if the Canon 1000D has that, though)

Cheers, Magnus

Mak 127 at prime focus means f/12, right? That would be very slow for the deep sky but it's much too fast for planets, and the image scale is too small. Try a 2x (f/24) or 3x (f/36) barlow. Relative brightness will be cut by 4 or 9, respectively, and the planet will be much bigger on the sensor. That will also make it more sensitive to turbulence but planetary imaging is at least an f/20 game. 

You need to make the shutter speed faster or stop down the aperture in the Backyard EOS settings.  It is actually tricking the canon to simulate exposure while feeding your laptop with a live view stream.

i has the same problem at my first go with backyard Eos + canon 550d.  I found a really good YouTube video with the developer himself demonstrating and explaining literally every part of Backyard Eos 

when I find it I will post it here

Archived