Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The TMB designed, APM LZOS 115 f/7 triplet Apo Refractor Review

This review has been sitting half written on my hard-drive for over a year, having started writing it back in the Summer of 2016.  Some of you may have recently read a dilemma thread about the 115 and potentially selling it as I have a new LZOS 130mm f/9 scope on the way and it seemed like a bit much to have three scopes of similar aperture.  However, while waiting for that new scope, I have been using my 115 a lot and it motivated me to finish the review which you can find on the link below.  I definitely have a difficult decision to make soon.

http://alpha-lyrae.co.uk/2018/06/03/apm-lzos-115-triplet-apo-refractor-review/

Feedback always appreciated.  Clear skies.

LZOS-115-Mounted.thumb.jpg.07f14cc7a43f1d8c2623521639a2717e.jpg

The 115 mounted on the Tele Optic Giro Ercole and Gitzo GT 5532S carbon fibre tripod.  I can get away with the counterweight with the Ercole and this scope, but the movement is smoother with it.

I cannot even sell my cheap chinese optics if they turn out good; don't sell it. The aperture is kinda large but not too sensitive to turbulence, correction is impeccable, and the tube is not heavy. That combination is hard to find; when you picture yourself without it, do you feel you'll regret that? 

Super review Matthew :thumbright:

I'm glad that I don't have to make the decision !

LZOS objectives are rather special - I will be very interested to see what you think of the 130mm F/9.2. Thomas Back considered it one of the best, if not the best that he was ever involved with designing.

A great read, Matthew. it clearly depicts your fondness for and how great a scope the 115mm LZOS is! A super tough decision lies ahead! All I can say is sell it if you need the money for other things you desire more, but if you don't, well maybe don't.

2 hours ago, Ben the Ignorant said:

I cannot even sell my cheap chinese optics if they turn out good; don't sell it. The aperture is kinda large but not too sensitive to turbulence, correction is impeccable, and the tube is not heavy. That combination is hard to find; when you picture yourself without it, do you feel you'll regret that? 

Quite possibly, yes.

1 hour ago, John said:

Super review Matthew :thumbright:

I'm glad that I don't have to make the decision !

LZOS objectives are rather special - I will be very interested to see what you think of the 130mm F/9.2. Thomas Back considered it one of the best, if not the best that he was ever involved with designing.

I am certainly excited to get my hands (should that be eyes?) on it. Certainly your positive views in your own scope contributed to the decision to purchase it.

• 2 months later...

I still have not decided what to do with my 115 regarding my future ownership.  However, I have decided that the scope deserves a face lift.  As such is now back with APM, who will be fitting that fab LZOS lens into a new higher quality tube with more baffles to squeak out the last piece of contrast and fit a new 3" feathertouch focuser on the back.  The idea being, that if I keep it, the scope is upgraded, and if I do decide to sell (perhaps that should read "encouraged to sell by the CFO) the scope is far more appropriate for an imager, thus increasing the universe of potential buyers.

Archived