Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Where am I, Vol 1

Rodd

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure why my post uploaded three times... Maybe something can delete two?

4 hours ago, wimvb said:

@HunterHarling's would need a platesolve.

Someone who has recently imaged it would get it.

4 hours ago, wimvb said:

:grin:

@HunterHarling's would need a platesolve.

Your turn to have a guess:

closeup.jpg.4fc71061bfcd810fdf41b86f91f60fda.jpg

M110?

5 hours ago, HunterHarling said:

Not sure why my post uploaded three times... Maybe something can delete two?

Someone who has recently imaged it would get it.

M110?

Yes

4 hours ago, Rodd said:

companion to M51?

Rodd

No, but twice you almost had it: M109, just one number higher; M32 is just opposite from it, with Andromeda in the middle.

56 minutes ago, wimvb said:

I can safely post an updated version of the image

And what a picture it is.  I beet with allot more data the 2 galaxies will appear almost as one.  I never realized the tidal connection between the 2.

Rodd

23 minutes ago, Rodd said:

And what a picture it is.  I beet with allot more data the 2 galaxies will appear almost as one.  I never realized the tidal connection between the 2.

Rodd

The interaction between M31 and its two satellites becomes more evident if you rotate an image of M31:

https://oneminuteastronomer.com/10494/three-views-andromeda-galaxy/

2 minutes ago, wimvb said:

The interaction between M31 and its two satellites becomes more evident if you rotate an image of M31:

I plan on going for M31 this Summer.....I will keep the gravity tails, or bridges, in mind.

Rodd

1 hour ago, Rodd said:

I plan on going for M31 this Summer.....I will keep the gravity tails, or bridges, in mind.

Rodd

What focal length will you be using? (he asked, derailing this thread even further ?)

1 minute ago, wimvb said:

What focal length will you be using? (he asked, derailing this thread even further ?)

That's OK--pretty soon the train will be so long it will simply be a corridor to walk from coast to coast!  Anyway--if I use the FSQ 106 with .6x reducer--the only setup I have to fit M31 in the frme without resorting to a mosaic, I will be shooting at 318mm (F3).  I suppose I will be showcasing M31 in all its glory as opposed to the satellites.  I bet  if I collect allot of data, the satellites may in fact appear connected to M31--at least M110.

Rodd

318 mm is a nice fl for this target (depending on sensor size, of course). Even though the galaxy is bright, it pays off to collect a lot of data, and capture the outer regions as well as the inner dust lanes.

Archived