SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

cables connections for autoguider with HEQ5

I have a qhy5p-ii_c  camera and want to use it for autoguiding. I am intending to use PHD  I was provided with two cables, a guide cable and a USB one, and there are no diagrams or instructions about how to use the cables. 

I am intending to continue using the handset for my HEQ5 mount at the moment, but do want to move to EQMOD once I have the autoguiding sorted.  (one step at a time). 

Do I connect the USB cable between the guide camera and my laptop, and the guide cable between the guide camera and the guide slot in my HEQ5 mount?   (that seems to be the obvious thing to do but would like to be sure)

Thank you

Gerard

Yes, that's right. You connect the usb cable to the camera and your computer, and the st4 cable to the camera and to your mount autoguider port.  Then if you'll use phd2 to guide you will choose your camera on the drop down list, then "on camera" at the mount option and it should work. 

You might find it easier to switch to EQMod then sort out the auto guiding.  The difference is that at the moment you'll be having to use ST-4 guiding, but with EQMod you'll be able to use Pulse Guiding, which is what the PHD deveopers want people to use as it is better in their opinion.

Thank you for then information. 

To use EQMOD and PHD, do I use cables as I described above, and add the following one between the Laptop and the handset slot:? 

https://www.365astronomy.com/HitecAstro-EQDIR-Adaptor-USB-HEQ5-Direct-Interface.html

Do I have download both EQMOD and PHD2?  (I have already downloaded EQMOD and ASCOM and carte de ciel).

Gerard

I'm only a layman when it comes to EQMod (I have a Meade telescope which isn't compatible).

What I understand is that you download EQMod and PHD2.  PHD2 when guiding will use both the guide camera and the mount.   You won't need the ST-4 cable that goes from the camera to the mount (It's completely unneeded)

As long as you are able to connect PHD2 to your mount, that should be OK.   In order for PHD2 to work it's best, PHD2 needs to know information from your mount.

Something worth doing is making a dark library and a bad pixel map.   Basically, hook up PHD2 to the camera, and you'll be able to do both.

to find the dark library and bad pixel map options you will find them on the darks menu

The idea is that you make a darks library, so that PHD can do on the fly dark subtraction.  The Bad pixel map, is so that the software can find the pixels on your camera that give false readings.  If you don't make these (it doesn't take long and you can do it on a cloudy night / day) there is a chance that PHD will attempt to guide on a bad pixel.  This will screw up the guiding completely.

Archived