sorry but a real daft question

Hi all been looking at phd2 videos to get my head around using it and i think i have got it now but!!

My rig is the heq5 a laptop and a asi 120mc for guiding now i use the serial connection ie i plug into the hand controller to the pc, guide camera is connected to the pc for power and i plug the rj connector to the camera to the heq5, 

now is this right as in the videos it shows eqmod and ascom and not using the rj between the camera and mount can someone clear this up for me thanks.john 

Are you using a Serial to USB converter, I suspect not, if you are connecting to your hand controller?  And if so, you need to have the handset in PC mode  Might help us help you,  if you draw a diagram of how you are connecting it all up.

The RJ connection between camera is the ST4 cable. You don't need this if you have a serial cable to handset, handset plugged into mount AND have the handset in PC direct mode.

Assuming you use the latter, make sure you have EQMOD and ASCOM installed and in PHD2 select the HEQ5/6 mount. Some people (me included) find going through the handset a bit flakey and the EQDIR cable is preferred (to bypass the handset).

Archived