Medium Budget Planetary Imaging

I have saved up some money and have decided to buy some new astrophotography equipment. Basically looking for a whole setup: telescope, camera, laptop (if needed) and mount, aswell as various filters that may be necessary. I want to image planets and the Moon, and possibly the Sun. My preferred budget is £4,000 and the absolute maximum is £5,000. I would appreciate if anyone would give some advice on what to get.

Thanks, 

Corkeyno2

3 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Nice position to be in!

It might be helpful if you tell us what equipment you currently or previously have used?

I have previously used a Nexstar 4SE and a 12" non-motorised skywatcher dob, but have been looking to get something more serious.

You should be able to get a good setup for under your budget. I’m more of a deep sky imager so I’m probably not best to give advice on planetary imaging. I have done a little bit and it takes time and practice to get good at imaging, money can’t buy these things!

Do you have or have somewhere to create a permanent setup?

A Skywatcher EQ6 derivative would be considered a good mount, and use up about £1000 of the budget.

If you're only wanting to image the solar system objects, than a setup on a alt-az mount will suffice... and I wouldn't go for anything smaller than an 8". Have a look at the Celestron CPC series such as the CPC 11" package. Its on a very stable fork mount and can be adapted later to a equatorial setup via a wedge.

Alternatively, if you want to start with a equatorial setup from the start, I dare say that you budget would allow you to get the CGX mount with a 11" (perhaps even a 14") SCT... 

Any old laptop will do, I use a Core2Duo, 8 year old SONY VAIO, and it's more than enough for control and capture of my data.

ZWO or Celestron Skyris cameras are great for capturing the data.

6 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

If you're only wanting to image the solar system objects, than a setup on a alt-az mount will suffice... and I wouldn't go for anything smaller than an 8". Have a look at the Celestron CPC series such as the CPC 11" package. Its on a very stable fork mount and can be adapted later to a equatorial setup via a wedge.

Alternatively, if you want to start with a equatorial setup from the start, I dare say that you budget would allow you to get the CGX mount with a 11" (perhaps even a 14") SCT... 

Any old laptop will do, I use a Core2Duo, 8 year old SONY VAIO, and it's more than enough for control and capture of my data.

ZWO or Celestron Skyris cameras are great for capturing the data.

Thanks for the help! This has swayed me from my previous thoughts about a smaller setup.

3 minutes ago, Corkeyno2 said:

Thanks for the help! This has swayed me from my previous thoughts about a smaller setup.

For planetary imaging you really want the maximum aperture and focal length... my 8" SCT is very good for planetary but I am hungry for more aperture, so I'll be adapting my 14" Skywatcher for planetary imaging by adding a electronic focuser to it, but so far the SCT is actually a better performer for IMAGING than the the 14" dob.... visually on a clear night its the opposite, but we're talking imaging here.

1 minute ago, MarsG76 said:

For planetary imaging you really want the maximum aperture and focal length... my 8" SCT is very good for planetary but I am hungry for more aperture, so I'll be adapting my 14" Skywatcher for planetary imaging by adding a electronic focuser to it, but so far the SCT is actually a better performer for IMAGING than the the 14" dob.... visually on a clear night its the opposite, but we're talking imaging here.

So an 8" can be better than a 14" for imaging?

On my kit only because I can't hit focus perfectly on the 14" dob. Once I get precision focus with the motor focus, it'll run rings around the 8".

A 14" SCT is much easier to collimate accurately and would destroy the 8" for planetary detail.

1 minute ago, MarsG76 said:

On my kit only because I can't hit focus perfectly on the 14" dob. Once I get precision focus with the motor focus, it'll run rings around the 8".

A 14" SCT is much easier to collimate accurately and would destroy the 8" for planetary detail.

Ok, thanks. I'm gonna get into making a list of equipment. I will post that here today or tomorrow if you are interested.

There are plenty of options if it is solar system targets you are after.  For planets then I favour my 9.25” SCT. I sometimes envy those with a 14” SCT but tread carefully as cooling has been frequently reported as an issue. For solar in white light I prefer my ED80 for the full disk and for Ha then it has to be my Lunt. For Lunar then the SCT and ED120 both work well. I only use one camera; a ZWO ASI 174 mono. I usually use my mount in Alt Az mode.

2 minutes ago, Corkeyno2 said:

Would any kind of guide scope linked to the motor be necessary, or would the standard mount alone do the job?

Guiding is not necessary. You are only imaging for seconds, perhaps a maximum of 90 using very fast shutter speeds. For example for the Sun and Moon my maximum video capture is 30 seconds.

Just now, Owmuchonomy said:

The planets are poorly placed for a few years so bear that in mind and budget for an ADC.

Thanks for the help, however Jupiter I believe is roughly at opposition right now, so I want to get some good images before it's gone.

9 minutes ago, Corkeyno2 said:

Would any kind of guide scope linked to the motor be necessary, or would the standard mount alone do the job?

You don't need a guide scope, the mount will track well enough for planetary imaging....

3 minutes ago, Corkeyno2 said:

Thanks for the help, however Jupiter I believe is roughly at opposition right now, so I want to get some good images before it's gone.

It’s the lowly altitude that’s the problem.  Up here it barely scrapes 20 degrees!

9 minutes ago, Owmuchonomy said:

It’s the lowly altitude that’s the problem.  Up here it barely scrapes 20 degrees!

Sad for you, but alternatively we're enjoying a near zenith crystal clear, more detail visible than my brain can comprehend... in the future this will reverse...

Archived