Qhy8l help.

Last night it came on twice for about a minute each time.

I'm thinking a dodgy connection as the second time it came back on it lasted until I got focus then skewed the scope.

At that point I'd wasted 3 hours so gave up.

Not happy as it's only 3rd time I've tried to use it. Bought 2nd hand :-(

13 minutes ago, Stu Wilson said:

Last night it came on twice for about a minute each time.

I'm thinking a dodgy connection as the second time it came back on it lasted until I got focus then skewed the scope.

At that point I'd wasted 3 hours so gave up.

Not happy as it's only 3rd time I've tried to use it. Bought 2nd hand :-(

When you say 'came on' are you referring to the camera itself or the power converter? Are all the LEDs coming on? How are you powering it - from the mains?

Louise

Ok 1st check: Connect only the usb lead. Do+es the red led at the back of the camera flash on/off. If it does, the usb connection is ok, if not replace lead.

2nd check: Connect the din power lead into the QHY DC201 power module with the ferrite block closest to the plug. connect the opposite end to the camera. Switch on the power. Does all 4 led's light up on the controller and does the fan switch on? If so, all connections are working. If not, the power cable needs replacing. If it's working try moving the power cable connector on the camera if this causes the camera to stop working you will require the additional cable clamp, Modern Astronomy stock these.

HTH

Steve

Ok guys thanks for response.

Yeah led flashes on usb connection.

All lights come on on Tec controller fan is going.

Ezcap recognises camera and camera cools down. I had preview running and just getting grey black screen. Then it looked like it was getting interference if that's the correct description then the picture came up. I achieved focus then slewed to my target and it went back off. Tried wiggling wires and connections but nothing. Cooler was still running and if I restarted Ezcap it still recognised camera etc but no picture.

59 minutes ago, Stu Wilson said:

Ok guys thanks for response.

Yeah led flashes on usb connection.

All lights come on on Tec controller fan is going.

Ezcap recognises camera and camera cools down. I had preview running and just getting grey black screen. Then it looked like it was getting interference if that's the correct description then the picture came up. I achieved focus then slewed to my target and it went back off. Tried wiggling wires and connections but nothing. Cooler was still running and if I restarted Ezcap it still recognised camera etc but no picture.

Sounds like a connection problem. Probably you'd benefit from using the special plastic cable clip if you haven't already.

https://www.qhyccd.com/ManualQHY8L9.html

I always used to use just a cable tie but didn't have any problems.

Louise

3 hours ago, Thalestris24 said:

Sounds like a connection problem. Probably you'd benefit from using the special plastic cable clip if you haven't already.

https://www.qhyccd.com/ManualQHY8L9.html

I always used to use just a cable tie but didn't have any problems.

Louise

Yeah I'm thinking possibly the clip but where do I buy one? Do they hold the wires firm?

44 minutes ago, Stu Wilson said:

Yeah I'm thinking possibly the clip but where do I buy one? Do they hold the wires firm?

They come with the camera... You could ask Bern at Modern Astronomy. I never actually used a clip myself. Instead I held the cables in place with the aid of a large tie-wrap (cable tie) around the camera's body and holding the cables in place. Didn't have a problem.

Louise

I have the same problem with my QHY8 - I bought a goo quality USB cable, then as has been mentioned, cable tied it to the camera so that the socket does not move even if the scope is slewed.  

6 hours ago, blinky said:

I have the same problem with my QHY8 - I bought a goo quality USB cable, then as has been mentioned, cable tied it to the camera so that the socket does not move even if the scope is slewed.  

Was your usb cable the problem or the 9 pin cable.

One thing I noticed last night when trying it if I've got it in live preview mode and shine a bright torch down the OTA I get a darkish grey light on the screen as if it's receiving half the signal even by moving the b and w sliders nothing really changes.

Hi Stu,

Can you actually take any still images with the QHY8L. If you can and as a trial, set the gain to 10 & the offset to 120. Download a fits file and upload it here so we can have a look at it.

Steve

Ok heres 10 second fit file with lens cap on and 10 second file with lens cap off. (Gain 10 Offset 120)

Theres a clear difference but ill let you decide and conclude.

Saying all that if it is (Fingers crossed a dodgy wire) maybe its ok tonight. Cant test on scope as its pouring down :-(

Cheers for help anyway

Stu

10secLensCapOff.fit

10secLensCapON.fit

Hi Stu,

Looking at those images there seems to be no issue with the camera. It has to be a cable issue. The banding you see on the "lenscapoff" is to do with the "effective area only" you can switch this on in the Ascom Properties tab. This will remove the dark bands down the side of the image.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Ok going to post a new thread tonight.

Various funny things going on with qhy8l.

Anyway after new leads and hair pulling and totally losing the plot it seemed to work last night. I'll put some images and tiffs for people to try later.

I defiantly got m51 and the best while yawning my head off at 2 in the morning with moon still looming a couple of 10 min guided subs of the veil neb

Archived