Nice Variety Of Doubles (Plus Globs To Finish)

9.50pm Sunday, clear, Arcturus and Vega on show, aligned the 8SE on them.

Xi Boo, SAO 101250, binary, 5.7” - very close fainter companion x56, better x113, less sharp x145. (Yellow/orange colours not really apparent – perhaps not dark enough!)

Sigma 1825 Boo, SAO 083259, binary, 4.3” - again a close, fainter companion x85.

Sigma 1835 Boo, SAO 120426, 1+(2) visual double, 6.1” - another with a close fainter companion x56, clearer x85.

29 Boo, SAO 101138, (2)+(2) visual double, 5.5” - companion not as faint as previous, just split x56, again clearer x85.

Sigma 1884 Boo, SAO 083535, binary, 2”, a closer match (magnitude-wise) and at 2", more of a challenge than previous targets – x169 with AV did it!

(Izar {Pulcherrima, the most beautiful} - a popular close visual double, evaded me probably on account of the brightness of the primary.)

Moving on to a different constellation:

49 Her, SAO 102018, (2)+1 visual double, 4.1” - a close match, and because of this, needing a little more mag (x113) to be split.

Sigma 2052 Her, SAO 102200, binary, 2.3” - another close match, requiring x145 and AV.

After this good run, I finished with some popular globular clusters:

M13, the Hercules Cluster – good x56 with separate stars clear in the fuzz, better x45.

M92 Her – smaller, tighter than M13 – many peripheral stars resolved x113.

M53 Com – easily seen, but remained a fuzzy patch even with increased mag.

M3 CVn – seemed smaller than M13, perhaps because it is tighter/fainter at the periphery, where some detail was discernible.

Almost midnight. time to retire after a very successful session enjoying yet more challenges and variety with doubles, with speedy movement between targets facilitated by GoTo.

Doug.

1 hour ago, iPeace said:

Very nice one. It seems Izar makes its own mind up each night, no matter what I'm using. So I keep returning, and it's worth it.

:happy11:

Thanks, Mike.  That's what's great about doubles - easy/tricky, exciting/ordinary, but always plenty to go for or return to!

Doug.

11 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Great haul of objects there think I will look at Hercules and Vega as they are so well placed next time.

Thanks Paul - Yes, that's why I went for Hercules and Bootes - well above the houses, but not uncomfortably high!

Doug.

Great report Doug :icon_biggrin:

Very nice night, last night. I observed some of what you saw then moved over to Draco galaxies and then back to Jupiter. About 100,000,000 light years covered there in the dob "spaceship" :grin:

Making up for the rotten Winter months at last !

Really enjoyable read Doug. I used the Heritage 130P last night starting early with Venus. My only double was Castor which was nicely split in the small Newt. Whenever I view M13 I try to pick up NGC 6207 in the same FOV - worth a go next time you are on this lovely Glob.

Archived