NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

do modified dslrs need ir cut filter?

2 hours ago, Wirral man said:

i have just removed my filter from a nikon d5300 and yes everything is red lol so i have just ordered some 50x50mm borofloat uv/ir glass which allows Ha wavelengths to pass through this glass i will cut myself to refit in the camera plus will be able to auto focus again!!

It will still look red with a the UV/IR filter it's an inevitable effect. You can cmompensate with custome white bbalance for ordinary pictures, but it won't affect RAWS

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

It will still look red with a the UV/IR filter it's an inevitable effect.

That's what I thought, the front filter has been removed so everything will look red lol Unfortunately it means light pollution will be more prominent, so it's really an LP filter you need. To use my modded Canon during the day, I just take a pic of a piece of white paper to make a custom white balance. Otherwise everything looks pink.

Hi everyone. So FWIW here we are with an 2" ir cut filter on the front of the coma corrector. Not a very good test as the target is different but hey, it looks a lot less red and it's not washed out. Probably not a valid observation for such an unscientific test but anyway. Still not sure...

Cheers and enjoy the new moon clear skies:)

dssir.thumb.JPG.949455623d7de57ffb2a4e1e3bc9dd30.JPG

The normal filter removed in a DSLR mod is more like a "colour balance" filter which has the effect of reducing the red channel to give a better "balance" on conventional family photos...

When this is removed (see filter #2 below) it allows a significant increase in the red channel, as shown (See filter #1 below).

canon filter mod.jpg

Archived