Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rosliston Astronomy Group ,solar outreach.

A few from our club took advantage of the beautiful skies to let the public have a go at observing Sol. The seeing was variable with not air pockets building up in the heat of the afternoon. There were three sets of proms on view , one small Sunspot and a few surface features. The proms changed quite nicely arching back to the surface. Low magnification , x30 seemed to be about right.

What was amazing was that the dozens of observers ,including children were quite blown away with the views. We had white light , Lunt Ha and a Quark . We guided them around the views with simple explanations. Children were sat on a perching stool or stood on a step. A few had telescopes and will be coming to our club later in the year , before the wee ones nod off.

There was a great deal of interest in the proms , their size and origins. Lots of questions and some really awed folk. I usually set up in the back garden with a few cans in the fridge , but sharing these views is very enjoyable.

If you can join in outreach , it's so worthwhile , both to old hands and those seeing for the first time, under clear skies ! Thanks to Andy for the use of his power pack ,

Nick.

Iphone prom.IMG_1303.thumb.JPG.ec2f732d096b04bcf56a8d1c77389da0.JPG

Setting up !IMG_1305.thumb.JPG.f8a6d433fdf6d900a885ab9d45a7abb1.JPG

What a great event... Would be great if events like that were held down here (atleast I havent heard of any).

Unfortunately its starting to seem like people are more interested in dumb down activities like watch talk show TV, play games or "candy crush" fumble on tablets and smart phones rather than get involved in some educational entertainment.

I'm sure that if more kids (and adults) were shown activities like this, they would also be hooked like we are.

Archived