Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rolling roof - Rail support options

Astrokev

My build is getting closer to the stage where I can start building the rails that will support the rolling roof.

With reference to the attached picture, I have 2 designs in mind. My original plan was to follow design A, but I'm now considering design B. Both have pro's and cons.

I'd really appreciate the thoughts from obsy builders out there to help me choose.

Thanks!

rails.JPG

I would go for option A definitely.  Whichever option you go for it needs a cross rail between the running rails and appropriate corner braces (thats how mine is built).  In that way you ensure stability and have a built in roof stop.  The unpredictable nature of the UK climate can play great tricks with an open roof.  I would hate to see a thread entitled "Derailment".  :wink:

I would agree with every word :icon_biggrin:

18 minutes ago, Owmuchonomy said:

I would go for option A definitely.  Whichever option you go for it needs a cross rail between the running rails and appropriate corner braces (thats how mine is built).  In that way you ensure stability and have a built in roof stop.  The unpredictable nature of the UK climate can play great tricks with an open roof.  I would hate to see a thread entitled "Derailment".  :wink:

Thanks everyone. Looks like option A gets the vote, which supports my original plan. I guess I was trying to cut corners (forgive the pun) but you've pulled me back to the proper way of doing it :-)

Archived