SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Another Refractor Galaxy - NGC 5474. (Oh...and M101)

Steve 1962

After one of my recurrent breaks away from imaging, I finally got out two nights on the trot last week and collected 12 x 600 secs each of RGB of NGC 5474 (and M101) and added in 12 x 1200 secs of Ha from last year.

Since the weather has reverted to type before I managed to gather any Lum, I've done a "quick" and un-calibrated process of the data using Pixinsight and (as an experiment, blended the Ha in using Photoshop).

5adf8ef0a2a95_HaRGBM10150.thumb.jpg.f385468a472dfa2c08a982577fa618fb.jpg

The full size is on Flickr here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/perrybarn/41592186182/in/dateposted-public/

I'm quite pleased with the result - especially the tiny detail in NGC 5474 (bottom right hand corner).

I've got plenty to do over the next few cloudy nights because although my obsy kit worked well after its long break, I've finally lost it with W10 so I've decided to revert back to W7. Wish me luck!

Once that's done, I'm going to throw some Lum at M101 (and little NGC 5474 of course) at the next opportunity.

Acquisition kit details are as per my signature.

Hope you like it.

Cheers

Steve

Thank you Mikey, Peter and Ian for your kind comments

there are a lot of starts that I think should be whitey/bluey but look a bit magenta here

You're right @mikey2000 - the whole thing is a bit "red" and the stars have quite a lot of blue halo around them - once I get some "L" I plan to sort this out with some colour calibration and star reduction.

you must have some decent data to have gotten that without any calibration

Thanks @iansmith- I'm very lucky - I just love my Atik 460 - it's so low in noise that I hardly ever bother with calibration except if I'm going after really faint stuff!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived