Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Iris Nebula - 20/04/18

Yawning Angel

The Iris Nebula, also NGC 7023 and Caldwell 4, is a bright reflection nebula and Caldwell object in the constellation Cepheus  (so sayeth Wikipedia)- LRGB (L20x30sec + 10x2min, 10x2min RGB) Sky-watcher ED80 Captured in SGPro, aligned, stacked and fettled in PixInsight (scary software!). Spit and polish in Photoshop. Fairly happy how it is, especially as I’ve yet to add flats. Would love to grab some more data if time and the weather allow it. Wondering if there is any mileage in adding Ha?

956DF3A5-8424-4EC8-96B0-A82A86810368.png

19 hours ago, Yawning Angel said:

Would love to grab some more data if time and the weather allow it. Wondering if there is any mileage in adding Ha?

956DF3A5-8424-4EC8-96B0-A82A86810368.png

I would suggest not. It is primarily Blue. There is some red but not a lot.

Good effort. I only managed to view the sky naked eye as I was busy all weekend. Friday certainly seemed to be the best night ?

OK, to be clear from the outset you have, in processing, thrown away a staggering amount of your precious data by clipping the black point! Before finessing with NB filters you need to work on exploiting what you have. Have a look at this.

5adcda5817143_IRISCLIPPED2.thumb.JPG.24475ccf646022936a41f7d9961046ec.JPG

Your histogram peak is jammed up hard against the left hand side. That means that all the faint nebuloosity which once filled up the left hand side has been scrapped. When it's gone it's gone so you need to start the stretch again and keep it. This shows the effect of clipping. Healthy:

healthy%20histogram-M.jpg

Black clipped:

unhealthy%20histogram-L.jpg

Never bring in the black point on the left so much that it takes out the flat line before the histogram peak rises.

Olly

Thank for your detailed reply, Olly! I'm gathering the flats for this data at the moment, then I'll be heading back to process it again, with your comments in mind. I suspect it went adrift when I hammer it in PS, after been careful till then.

Ian, thanks also. Hope the weekend was fun, even with only the Mk1 eyeball

41 minutes ago, Yawning Angel said:

Ian, thanks also. Hope the weekend was fun, even with only the Mk1 eyeball

No problem, good weekend, but tiring. There are people way more experienced than me who are better to advise than me, some have already commented, take note of what they say!

Onwards and upwards ? You are doing well!

Archived