Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cooling fans on newts

Hello i was thinking of putting a diy cooling fan onto my XLT150 but am wondering if it is worth the effort, my mind tells me that the reason for cooling fans is to help the cooldown on large thick mirrors and the cooldown on a 6" is pretty quick what do you think is it worth it.

Mick. :)

Both my 6" Newts are stored in an unheated shed and I find that half an hour is plenty enough for them to cool down. Probably less than that, but half hour give me time to become 'dark' adapted. Surprisingly, even the unheated shed can be a couple of degrees warmer than the o/s if it's been a warm day!

What's a sensible cool down time for my 12" FlexTube? It is stored in an uninsulated shed, so it must be pretty close to the ambient temperature when I take it out.

Mike

An hour tops Mike? I guess your storage must be a bit like mine (without the leaks I presume) and my 6" Mak-Cass only takes about an hour and they can take ages if kept indoors.

Tony..

Right! I improved the mounting of the fan on my 12" Skywatcher 300P last night. I should add a baffle, too, to avoid recirculating air. I'll have to mount a webcam and take movies of Polaris every 10 minutes or so, both with the fan on and off. That should tell us something about how long it takes to settle down thermally. The fan I use has dimensions 80x80x15mm and I reckon it should be good for about 20 cubic feet per minute.

Archived