Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Star trails at the lighthouse

Went out for sunset and it was pants, so stayed and done some star trails at this well known spot.

Next time think i will use longer exposures to get more trails. 

Canon 5Dm3

70mm F4.6

x20 x2.30" exposres

ISO 1000

penmon stars.jpg

8 minutes ago, Craney said:

Nice shot.   How did you get the lighthouse light to not dominate the frame??   Were you in the right angular spot ??

i used a telephoto lens to allow my to stand further away but make it look closer

13 minutes ago, Craney said:

Nice shot.   How did you get the lighthouse light to not dominate the frame??   Were you in the right angular spot ??

Photoshop probably, get the light house properly exposed and then paste on the 20 star trails frames in the background :)

1 hour ago, Daniel-K said:

id like to see that method please 

I'm genuinely impressed you haven't done that, it's a good effort.

The easy (cheats) method would be add all the layers for the trails then have your lighthouse layer, add a layer mask and airbrush the star trails into it.

The other thing you can do is set a much lower f number and do massively long subs for the star trails and then you don't get the breaks in the trails.

I'm aware of sequator but never used it, but that should do this technique for you also.

I tried to do a similar shot on the North East coast   ( Alnwick )....  the glorious beams, focal point building and arching Milky Way in the background..

didn't quite work out....

5acb542c09120_FB1B.thumb.jpg.533176cce9fad2b483905472efabde1a.jpg

Wind, full Moon and even rain ( shower cloud top right)  .... all  conspired against me.   A work in progress as they say...

Archived