NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Meteorite advice

Subdeo

Does anyone have any suggestions for a beginning meteorite collector? I have a few basic chondrites and an achondrite, but I am looking to expand my collection. I hope to find a meteorite that is visually or scientifically interesting. Thanks!

We went on an organised trip to Greenland in 2005 to collect fresh meteorite falls that are easy to see in the melting snow.

Mostly the type found are only a few mm up to size of a pebble and blackened/burned during entry.

Unfortunately I wasn't lucky and could only find organic material but a couple of the others in the group found some metallics about the size of a UK 5 pence piece (~ same as a US dime) and some stony chondrites about half that size.

Was worth the trip just to see the Northern Lights and camp out on the ice shelf.

13 minutes ago, Tim said:

I really like the slices which are semi transparent, like green stained glass, cant recall what they are called right now

I have a Seymchan Pallasite that is a Stony Iron that sounds like that

img_0399.JPG

14 minutes ago, Tim said:

I really like the slices which are semi transparent, like green stained glass, cant recall what they are called right now

6 minutes ago, m.tweedy said:

I have a Seymchan Pallasite that is a Stony Iron that sounds like that

Or possibly Czech Moldavite which looks like green glass.

( although not strictly a 'meteorite' as such as I think it is an impact material and has some of the earths crust's materials mixed in )

48 minutes ago, Subdeo said:

Does anyone have any suggestions for a beginning meteorite collector? I have a few basic chondrites and an achondrite, but I am looking to expand my collection. I hope to find a meteorite that is visually or scientifically interesting. Thanks!

Just realised you are USA based. In that case 

https://aerolite.org/

Based inn Tuscon 

Get strong magnet, put in thick sock, tie a rope, go to river with rocky bottom.  I drag a powerful magnet behind my canoe, find lots of rocks with a charge, trash and a car that stopped me in my tracks.  Yet to find a meteorite but they are everywhere, found some cool junk and a prehistoric artifact that dated nearly 4000 BCE.

1 minute ago, MilwaukeeLion said:

Get strong magnet, put in thick sock, tie a rope, go to river with rocky bottom.  I drag a powerful magnet behind my canoe, find lots of rocks with a charge, trash and a car that stopped me in my tracks.  Yet to find a meteorite but they are everywhere, found some cool junk and a prehistoric artifact that dated nearly 4000 BCE.

OR use it on your roof guttering to find Micro Meteorites

Archived