Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tiangong 1 reentry imaging?

Galen Gilmore

With the demise of the Tiangong 1 just around the corner, I wonder if it is possible to image it as it is reentering. Although because it is nearly impossible to predict when and where it will contact the atmosphere, you could not prepare in advance.

Has anyone here ever imaged any reentering space junk, or is that impossible?

I've never done it, but it is perfectly possible and there is genuine footage out there of previous such incidents (e.g. the Columbia Shuttle Disaster was captured from several locations across the US).

The problem is it is only possible to plan a capture IF you know when and where it will re-enter which we don't as it is an uncontrolled reentry. If it comes down over a populated area then there will doubtless be a lot of smartphone/dashcam/cctv footage captured by chance, but in all likelihood it will come down over the sea or a sparsely populated area since that constitutes the vast majority of the Earth's surface.

I can confidently predict that there will be a lot of fake or mis-attributed footage uploaded over the coming weeks and months whatever happens. Those idiots are already working on it now I expect.

4 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

I think it's orbiting corridor is between 45 Deg North and 45 Deg South. Not sure where you'e location is? Here in the UK were unlikely to see much, may be a spark low on the southern horizon 

I live in the US, so in a better position to see it I suppose. But I guess as Ian said above, it is near impossible to predict an uncontrolled reentry.

Yes, I suspect anyone wanting to image it is going to have to follow the updates on its path very closely and then be very lucky in terms of being in the right place.

James

29 minutes ago, Galen Gilmore said:

Just found this video, which I suppose answers my question.

This is actually a scene from the Transformers movie! Pretty much every video of the Tiangong re-entry you find online will be fake.

On 31/03/2018 at 17:31, IanL said:

I can confidently predict that there will be a lot of fake or mis-attributed footage uploaded over the coming weeks and months whatever happens. Those idiots are already working on it now I expect.

Can't say you weren't warned a whole six comments prior.

Archived