Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

DeepSkyMan

The Spectacular return of The Sphinx

Well, I was finally able to put the newly repaired Sphinx through its paces over the weekend, Saturday night turned out a bit of a bust weather wise, however it gave me the advantage of already being set up for the following evening which was a completely different story.

Sunday...?   Transparency not all that great, (perhaps NELM variable 3 to 5) and with a half moon shining, not ideal conditions for deep sky observing, however was still able to bag a few  old favourites, including M53, M13, M92 and M51, M81 & 82.  Then spent the next two hours exploring some galaxies in Canes Venatici, Coma And Virgo.  Managed to pick up M63 - The Sunflower Galaxy, NGC 4565 - The Needle Galaxy, M64 - The Blackeye Galaxy, M104 - The Sombrero Galaxy, NGC 4631 - The Whale Galaxy, NGC 4559, M84 and M86 from Markarians Chain, The Leo Triplet and M87 - Virgo A, plus  a whole host of other NGCs.  Not much in the way of detail, (mainly due to variable conditions), they pretty much all lived up to their names as ‘faint fuzzies’, but nonetheless a most rewarding couple of hours.  The Sphinx performed spectacularly, with each goto resulting in the target well within the FOV.  The most gratifying aspect of the evening was the integration of the Avalon X-Guider into the ensemble, getting the main scope and finder dialled in is just so much easier now.  Also the laser pointer performed its function perfectly as well, that being to improve efficiency of initial star alignment.  All in all a most enjoyable two hours or so of observing.

Date: 2018 03 25 22:00 to 00:00

Wind: None
NELM: Variable 3 to 5
Seeing: II Antoniadi
Restrictions: 1/2 Moon to SW
Scope: C8 EdgeHD with modified longer focal length due to 2” Crayford and Diagonal.
Aperture: 200mm
FL: Approx 3200mm
FR: F16
Eyepiece: 22mm T4 Nagler:
Mag: 3200/22 = 145
AFOV: 82 Deg
TFOV: 34’
Exit Pupil: 22/16 = 1.3mm

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By travelyourlife
      Hi there!
      I hope you can help, I'll be in the Bay Area for a bunch of days and I thought to try some astrophotography.

Could you please suggests some location options to do some astrophotography in California, ideally not further than 2-2.5h from Menlo Park?

Thank you!
      Tom
    • By Greg6498
      I am looking at various refractor telescopes (I already have a great Dobsonian!) and was wondering which mount would be best to start with. I'm not interested in computer control but not sure which type mount would be best to consider. 
    • By jjosefsen
      Hi,
      I wan't to tell you about a relatively new open source imaging suite that I have been using for around 7-8 months now.
      Night time imaging n' astronomy or in short NINA!
      The new website is really quite informative, so check it out here: https://nighttime-imaging.eu/

As a software developer and IT professional I was blown away by this application these guys were creating, when I first stumbled upon it last year.
      It is a really feature rich application as the very long feature list below will show, and it is absolutely free!
      I was immediately drawn to the very simple but still quite information rich UI that was presented to me when I tried it the first time.
      Isbeorn (the developer), Dark Archon (massive contributor) and Quickload (big contributor) have really created something impressive here, and it is constantly being improved upon.
      It is quite normal to see these guys working on the next cool feature in the middle of the night
      As it is a "hobby project" and Open Source, and these guys don't have every model of every camera available - sometimes there can be glitches with new equipment, but it is usually sorted out in quick fashion.
      But this is where we "mere mortals" can help improve this amazing piece of software, by using it and providing feedback and logs (in case of errrors) via. Discord or the Issue tracker on bitbucket.
      In return for this you get a very comprehensive piece of astro imaging software for absolutely nothing!

If anyone needs any help in settings this up, don't hesitate to write in this thread and I will try to help, or jump on Discord and join the "support" channel.
      I recommend taking the latest beta version, pretty much always, as it has the latest fixes and is generally stable.

List of main features as grabbed from the webpage and personal experience (I surely missed some):
      Equipment control ASCOM Cameras Mounts Filter wheels Focusers Rotators Native camera drivers for Atik ZWO QHYCCD Altair Astro cameras Canon Nikon Touptek Can run multiple camera's and supports syncronized dithering (early version, but tested in the field!) Image analysis Image statistics Auto stretch Full image star detection with HFR calculation (used for autofocus as well) Exposure time recommendation Sequencing Multitarget sequence lists (image multiple targets automatically) Automatic mosaic capture as defined in framing assistant Light, Bias, Dark, DarkFlat, Flat frames of various exposure lengths and gain/iso Automatic filter change Autofocus using full image HFR calculations over time number of exposures Temperature change Automatic centering and rotation of targets using platesolving Save as raw (dslr), fits, xisf, etc. Customizeable filename pattern Automatic meridian flip Can automatically flip and recenter target after flip has been completed Sky atlas Sky atlas with more than 10.000 objects. Filtering on type, magnitude, size, altitude and more Altitude chars showing showing altitude over time for your location Framing assistant Can pull data from various skyserveys, to make framing and planning easier You can see a preview of your fov based on camera and scope details Mosaic planning mode Shows your mosaic tilesin the framing wizard Set desired overlap percentage Offline skymap shows gridlines and all sky atlas DSO's, constellations and coordinates ("Cartes du Ciel'ish") Sleek and customizable UI Imaging tab can be customized to show all the information you could possibly want to see image (duh! ;)) Statistics HFR history PHD2 graph and statistics Mount information Camera information Filter wheel information Platesolve information Weather data and more.. Quick switch between light and dark scheme Customizable colorschemes Flats wizard Set a desired ADU and tolerance for flats Simple mode or multimode where flats are captured for each filter Set minimum and maximum exposure time Guide to help you get the desired flats Can automatically capture matching darkflats Other cool features PHD2 integration with Dithering Weather data from OpenWeatherMap API List of bright focus stars for use with Bahtinov mask, clik and slew to it Polar alignment tools Configuration profiles, so different setups can be used  
      A word about open source:
      The project is open source, this means that all source code is readily available from bitbucket, and anyone is free to contribute code.
      The developer is Isbeorn (Stefan) and as the repository manager he decides when and if a submission (pull request) is deemed good enough to enter a release..!
      There are a couple of other main contributors who do a lot of work, and put in a lot of their free time to this project.
      You are free to ask for features and request support and people are generally very helpful and quick to implement something if it is a good idea.
      BUT as this is a hobby project for these people, don't expect the same of them as you would of a company from whom you buy a product, IT IS UNFAIR!

A word about Discord:
      Discord is a free chat (text and voice) platform that anyone can create a server on. Discord as a whole is not run by the people behind N.I.N.A., only the NINA server, and as such is not moderated by the developers.
    • By MikeGH
      Hello,
      I have a 4 year old Skywatcher NEQ6 mount that I control with a Synscan hand controller.  Recently I have had trouble with the goto command not slewing to and finding the targets despite properly following polar alignment with polar scope followed by 2 or 3 star alignment.  I have eliminated cone error, so do not think this is the cause.  The RA and DEC motors run smoothly with not much noise.  In attempting to understand the cause I noticed that if via the hand controller I slew the telescope by 12 hours in RA; the setting circle indicates that the telescope has slewed by 12 hours 20 minutes, which I can imagine could be a possible cause.
      Does anyone know if it is possible to perform some sort of re-calibration of the Synscan hand controller to adjust the slewing so that it corresponds with the actual physical movement around the RA axis.  I cannot see anywhere how to do this or why it may be out of calibration.
      Thanks very much for any advice.
      Regards,
      Mike (SW France, equipped with Celestron C11)

• By chris_33
      I am going to upgrade to the skywatcher 250/1200 pds telescope and i can't decide which mount i should get.
      The main (only) purpose is astrophtography and i am considering either the eq6-r- pro or the cem60
      The cem60 can carry more weight but is also more expensive, my inner debate now is about if it is worth it
      What's you take on it?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.