Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_the_milky_way_winners.thumb.jpg.0a840852a676f881f4a849dd8099085d.jpg

DeepSkyMan

The Spectacular return of The Sphinx

Well, I was finally able to put the newly repaired Sphinx through its paces over the weekend, Saturday night turned out a bit of a bust weather wise, however it gave me the advantage of already being set up for the following evening which was a completely different story.

Sunday...?   Transparency not all that great, (perhaps NELM variable 3 to 5) and with a half moon shining, not ideal conditions for deep sky observing, however was still able to bag a few  old favourites, including M53, M13, M92 and M51, M81 & 82.  Then spent the next two hours exploring some galaxies in Canes Venatici, Coma And Virgo.  Managed to pick up M63 - The Sunflower Galaxy, NGC 4565 - The Needle Galaxy, M64 - The Blackeye Galaxy, M104 - The Sombrero Galaxy, NGC 4631 - The Whale Galaxy, NGC 4559, M84 and M86 from Markarians Chain, The Leo Triplet and M87 - Virgo A, plus  a whole host of other NGCs.  Not much in the way of detail, (mainly due to variable conditions), they pretty much all lived up to their names as ‘faint fuzzies’, but nonetheless a most rewarding couple of hours.  The Sphinx performed spectacularly, with each goto resulting in the target well within the FOV.  The most gratifying aspect of the evening was the integration of the Avalon X-Guider into the ensemble, getting the main scope and finder dialled in is just so much easier now.  Also the laser pointer performed its function perfectly as well, that being to improve efficiency of initial star alignment.  All in all a most enjoyable two hours or so of observing.

Date: 2018 03 25 22:00 to 00:00

Wind: None
NELM: Variable 3 to 5
Seeing: II Antoniadi
Restrictions: 1/2 Moon to SW
Scope: C8 EdgeHD with modified longer focal length due to 2” Crayford and Diagonal.
Aperture: 200mm
FL: Approx 3200mm
FR: F16
Eyepiece: 22mm T4 Nagler:
Mag: 3200/22 = 145
AFOV: 82 Deg
TFOV: 34’
Exit Pupil: 22/16 = 1.3mm

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By blapidarious
      After being initially excited at getting my first mount. I found that the instructions that came with it aren't much help. I'm trying to use the mount with my canon camera and 70-200 lens. 
      I know I have to align the mount to the celestial pole but do you do this before turning the mount on?
      How does the mount know if you are using the camera on the left or right side?
      Sorry for what are simple questions but I feel once I get these sorted I can start enjoying my new hobby instead of being frustrated at the first step.
    • By Neil27
      A very lightly used AZ EQ6-GT mount and tripod for sale. The mount is approx 3 years old and I am the second owner. It is in exceptional condition and as stated has been very lightly used by myself and previous owner.
      Reason I am selling, due to a change of job and working away significant parts of the week / month I have no time to indulge in the hobby at the moment.
      The mount comes with all the usual items,
      Mount and tripod, hand controller, cigarette power lead, eqmod usb lead, manual.
      Also included in the sale is the ADM losmandy / Vixen saddle and the regulated power supply - this one as per FLO website - Nevada PS-08 PSU
      Price is £995 ovno for everything.
      I have the box for the mount with original packaging but not the tripod, hence this is pick up only or can travel and meet half way by arrangement - I travel extensively so I'm sure something can be arranged.
      I accept cash, cheques and bank transfer (which is easiest to be honest). Paypal if the buyer pays the fees.
      The mount is currently in my observatory and can be seen working if you wish.
      The ES102 pictured is also for sale in the next ad!
      Thanks for reading and if you have questions please PM me and we can discuss in more detail.
      Neil.

• By umbilic
      I am considering buying a Skywatcher al/az+eq mount to use in alt az mode for lunar CCD photography. I currently have a celestron 11 CDC and a celestron 8 on a nexstar evo mount. I can use both these telescopes with the celestron 'solar system align' and sharp cap for short (~10 sec 300-500 frame) captures. I want to replace the nexstar evo mount for the C8 with a sturdier Skywatcher AZ-EQ 5GT mount BUT -
      1) the altz/az option is supposed to be 'for visual use'. Does this mean its tracking in lunar rate/alt-az mode is very poor ?
      2) I am confused about 'alignment' (is this only necessary to accurately access the database of interesting object positions?) The skywatcher mount does not have solar system align - but it does have lunar rate tracking in alt-az mode.  If I align on any random stars in lunar rate+alt-az mode with the moon centred in the telscope will the mount then track the moon? If not ,is there another way to track the moon ?
    • By Peart
      Hi All,
      So I am new to astrophotography and was looking for some advice on what to buy, mainly the mount as I don't have a huge budget.
      I am currently using a SkyWatcher 102mm Telescope (500mm Focal Length) with a Canon 550d along with a EQ2 mount, so no motors as of yet.
      Any advice on what mounts to get would be great.
      Thanks
    • By Hughsie
      Having spent some time using my Nikon D90 on a fixed tripod to take wide field images, last night I moved on and took the image below using my DSLR, William Optics Z61 combined with the field flatter on a polar aligned AVX mount. Using APT to sight and frame the cluster, I then switched to an intervalometer so I could capture 2 minute subs. Overall there are 37 lights combined with 5 darks and 10 flats, then stacked in DSS and processed through Photoshop.
      Would welcome any feedback.
      Cheers,

John

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.