Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_constellations.thumb.jpg.6034fe99df7fe590f77a776877551964.jpg

DeepSkyMan

The Spectacular return of The Sphinx

Well, I was finally able to put the newly repaired Sphinx through its paces over the weekend, Saturday night turned out a bit of a bust weather wise, however it gave me the advantage of already being set up for the following evening which was a completely different story.

Sunday...?   Transparency not all that great, (perhaps NELM variable 3 to 5) and with a half moon shining, not ideal conditions for deep sky observing, however was still able to bag a few  old favourites, including M53, M13, M92 and M51, M81 & 82.  Then spent the next two hours exploring some galaxies in Canes Venatici, Coma And Virgo.  Managed to pick up M63 - The Sunflower Galaxy, NGC 4565 - The Needle Galaxy, M64 - The Blackeye Galaxy, M104 - The Sombrero Galaxy, NGC 4631 - The Whale Galaxy, NGC 4559, M84 and M86 from Markarians Chain, The Leo Triplet and M87 - Virgo A, plus  a whole host of other NGCs.  Not much in the way of detail, (mainly due to variable conditions), they pretty much all lived up to their names as ‘faint fuzzies’, but nonetheless a most rewarding couple of hours.  The Sphinx performed spectacularly, with each goto resulting in the target well within the FOV.  The most gratifying aspect of the evening was the integration of the Avalon X-Guider into the ensemble, getting the main scope and finder dialled in is just so much easier now.  Also the laser pointer performed its function perfectly as well, that being to improve efficiency of initial star alignment.  All in all a most enjoyable two hours or so of observing.

Date: 2018 03 25 22:00 to 00:00

Wind: None
NELM: Variable 3 to 5
Seeing: II Antoniadi
Restrictions: 1/2 Moon to SW
Scope: C8 EdgeHD with modified longer focal length due to 2” Crayford and Diagonal.
Aperture: 200mm
FL: Approx 3200mm
FR: F16
Eyepiece: 22mm T4 Nagler:
Mag: 3200/22 = 145
AFOV: 82 Deg
TFOV: 34’
Exit Pupil: 22/16 = 1.3mm

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Kronos831
      Hey guys! Its me again... I know what you are thinking 😛 there is not such thing as a cheap mount for astrophotography...and i agree with you! I just want to know if there are any significantly cheap mounts (under 100 pounds)  for my skywatcher heritage 130p that can give me maybe 15-30 sec exposure time max. Thanks
      Kronos
    • By DeepSkyMan
      Hi there, our Astro group were booked into our normal dark skies venue for an observing weekend in February.  Unfortunately, the accommodations are now going to be undergoing renovation and will be closed for the first 3 months of the year.   We are looking at a couple of alternative venues.  These are field study centres, one at Blancathra near Keswick and the other Malham Tarn in the Yorkshire Dales national park.  Wondering if anybody has  any observing experience of the skies in these areas.
      Kind Regards
      Paul.
    • By Ralphf
      Hi. Was up at dawn observing Mercury rising in the southeast and slowly swept my binoculars left. I was able to vaguely see a small triangle formed by Upsilon Ophiuchi, HR  6128 and HR 6137. That was the limit of view as sunlight was washing out anything else to the left of that. But I clicked on the adjacent HR6144 star in my Sky Guide app and it lists as being 6,900 light years away. When I checked the Ski Safari app, the same star is listed as 1,900 light years. I went online and found little info but, “In the Sky” web page it’s HR 6144 at 9 kilo years / 9,000 light years. Does anyone have any info as to why the huge discrepancies?
      https://in-the-sky.org/data/object.php?id=TYC5627-1490-1
      Thanks in advance for your help. 
    • By KP82
      Anyone here familiar with this Vixen binoculars, Vixen Binoculars Ascot ZR 8 x 42WP
      I can't seem to find any reviews on the net. It costs around £140, about the same as many other low-mid range porro models from top tier brands such as Nikon Action EX.
      While Vixen refractors (Made in Japan models e.g. ED81S) are known for quality, their binos seem to be very inconsistent according to many reviews (other models). I'd be glad to hear some personal experiences with Vixen binos even if it isn't the model I listed.
      Many thanks.
    • By Leon-Fleet
      I'm looking at upgrading my manfrotto tripod to  something far sturdier and taller.
      I'm 6f3" so ideally having a tall tripod makes life easier as long as it doesn't get blown about by the wind. 
      I've heard the eq6 is a good shout but perhaps a little on the short side, but or the manfrotto 055 potentially still wobbly, or vixen porta ii. 
      I'd like to spend less than £60, but is that realistic? 
      What do you use or recommend? 
      Thanks 
      Leon 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.