Saving Your Work Query

Hi,

How do all you Astro Imagers on this forum  "SAVE" all of your precious hard earned work?

So far i have bought three Toshiba mini portable hard drives to save my Astro images on.

Do the majority of you also do this to safely back up your images?

I have started to save my images within created folders (ie) named "Astro - Mar-2018" etc according to month and year.

I then name my finalissed processed image (the image that I feel "is the best" I have processed) , as follows :-

M42-02-24-2018_20.15UT_VixenVC200L_Canon450D

I also keep a manual log book, cross referencing the above File Names (ie) detailing exposure information, amounts of subs, darks etc.

My final image is Always saved as a seperate Tiff and a seperate JPEG.

Am I on the right track here, in what I am doing?

Grateful for tips and advice.

Regards,
Steve

I have mine stored in several places.

The actual Raw/Fits files are on my computer, in case I want to re-process them at a later date, or add to them.  I also have folders where I stack and process them, so I have the final tiffs for each filter stored here too.  I tend to name the files according to the camera and scope used, and also the length of files so I can refer back.  Normally each folder contains the relevant flats as well. 

The final images are generally kept in a separate folder, and these I have hosted on Flicker and Astrobin as PNG files.  

I also have a digital photo frame which I update now and then, and finally I have a website where I have them all posted up with capture information.  As well as posted on 4 different Astro sites. 

Carole 

Archived