Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Atik 314L issues with Windows 10

AstroAdam

Hi All,

Is anyone here using an Atik 314L or 314L+ with Windows 10?

I've just bought an Atik 314L off someone on this very forum.  Today I've been trying to install it and not having much luck.  I can install the drivers (latest from the Atik site) absolutely fine, including the ASCOM driver.  The camera is picked up (oddly under USB Controllers, but searching the web, that seems to be normal).  

I can select 'Atik Camera' in the ASCOM selector, but when I click 'Properties' to actually select the 314L itself within the Atik ASCOM driver, there are no cameras listed.  I've tried this on two (completely different) Windows 10 machines and had the same issue (one a physical Win10 laptop, one a Windows 10 VM).  I have a Windows 7 VM, and it installs absolutely fine there, and is selectable with no problem.  

A bit of digging has revealed the the Windows service 'ArtemisHSCService' that the driver uses to communicate with the camera is failing to stay running on the Win10 Machines.  It starts, then immediately stops again.  It tries to start again about every few seconds, starting for an instant each time then stopping again. This doesn't seem to happen on Windows 7 (i.e. the service stays running).

I'm really confused, as searching around the web, as far as I can see, others are using these cameras fine on Windows 10.   If it was happening on just one machine, then I'd think it was a quirk of that machine, but in this case, its on both a Laptop and a virtual machine - separate hardware and separate installs.  Even very different update levels (the VM is a lot older and hasn't;t been updated in a while, whereas the Lappy is bang up to date).  

Anyone have any suggestions, as it's driving me nuts!!!

Hi

I don't know the atik but I'd look at the usb settings (device manager) for the port the camera is connected to. Especially check the power management under properties (make sure unticked). You didn't mention it but also avoid using a hub.

Louise

Had a breakthrough.  I’ve taken the drivers two versions back (Jan sometime) after finding somewhere to get them, and it seems to have sorted it. Looks like the last two versions of the drivers released may have a bug...  will flag it up to Atik and ask the question...

Cheers for the suggestions though ?. 

1 hour ago, Thalestris24 said:

Hi

I don't know the atik but I'd look at the usb settings (device manager) for the port the camera is connected to. Especially check the power management under properties (make sure unticked). You didn't mention it but also avoid using a hub.

Louise

The service that wasn’t staying running didn’t even need the camera to be plugged in to do so.  It should have been running regardless, so it was even lower level than that :). Made it easier to troubleshoot...

There is a reported problem when updating to the latest suite of Atik Core Software released about a week ago.

You need to select BOTH 'drivers' and also 'other' under the additional OPTIONS.

Even though you might have had the correct DLLs in a previous installation for some strange reason Windows is refusing to ackowledge them when updating Atik software. Hence, you need to select 'other' to reinstall them.  This probably explains why rolling back to a previous version fixes this. 

I followed this guidance yesterday and my Atik Horizon is working fine.

7 hours ago, noah4x4 said:

There is a reported problem when updating to the latest suite of Atik Core Software released about a week ago.

You need to select BOTH 'drivers' and also 'other' under the additional OPTIONS.

Even though you might have had the correct DLLs in a previous installation for some strange reason Windows is refusing to ackowledge them when updating Atik software. Hence, you need to select 'other' to reinstall them.  This probably explains why rolling back to a previous version fixes this. 

I followed this guidance yesterday and my Atik Horizon is working fine.

Hmmm - interesting...!   When I was having the issue, I was doing a clean install of 4.2.1.2 (current latest), and I didn't have that option - everything in the core section was selected (and greyed out).   However, now I have a working install, if I go to install the latest over the top, those two you mentioned are now optional, and I have to select them manually, like you said.  I'm leaving as-is at the moment, as it's working, but it looks like doing a clean install of the latest version isn't possible currently - just an update. 

47 minutes ago, AstroAdam said:

Hmmm - interesting...!   When I was having the issue, I was doing a clean install of 4.2.1.2 (current latest), and I didn't have that option - everything in the core section was selected (and greyed out).   However, now I have a working install, if I go to install the latest over the top, those two you mentioned are now optional, and I have to select them manually, like you said.  I'm leaving as-is at the moment, as it's working, but it looks like doing a clean install of the latest version isn't possible currently - just an update. 

To be frank, I don' t recall selecting 'others' when I did an original clean install of the Atik core software in early February (2018). I believe I selected only 'drivers' (within <options>) as guided by the instructions.

However, I read about this issue in Cloudy Nights and the later update includes a desirable firmware update for the (new) Atik Horizon to fix a minor glitch. But without ticking 'others' that minor glitch apparently becomes a crisis!  Anyhow, I took the plunge, ticked both 'drivers' and 'other's, did the update and although it took a good 30 seconds on first use after opening Atik Infinity software it eventually found the camera. On second use connection was as just fast as normal after loading the software , so on first use I guess Windows reinstalling the missing DLLs is the cause of the brief delay.

To be fair to Atik, this problem occurred over two days when their software developers could not get into their rural located office because of deep snow, so this 'other' check box might be merely a temporary fix and clearer guidance and an integrated reinstallation of the DLLs with the main suite of software will follow soon when they work out why Windows 10 is acting abnormally. But it works fine with both options checked.

Interesting. Tom and I could not get our Atik EFW2 to run on either his or my recent Win10 machines, though the camera runs happily. I later discovered that I could, however, control the wheel in Filter Wheel Runner rather than Artemis Capture. On contacting Atik they told me to go into Task Manager, Services and restart ArtemisHSCService from the list. But it isn't on the list! This is with the camera running.

It sounds like a related problem, not that I know anything at all about software.*

Atik have sent me a different version of Artemis to try, which I will do shortly.

Olly

*...except that I hate it.

1 hour ago, noah4x4 said:

To be frank, I don' t recall selecting 'others' when I did an original clean install of the Atik core software in early February (2018). I believe I selected only 'drivers' (within <options>) as guided by the instructions.

However, I read about this issue in Cloudy Nights and the later update includes a desirable firmware update for the (new) Atik Horizon to fix a minor glitch. But without ticking 'others' that minor glitch apparently becomes a crisis!  Anyhow, I took the plunge, ticked both 'drivers' and 'other's, did the update and although it took a good 30 seconds on first use after opening Atik Infinity software it eventually found the camera. On second use connection was as just fast as normal after loading the software , so on first use I guess Windows reinstalling the missing DLLs is the cause of the brief delay.

To be fair to Atik, this problem occurred over two days when their software developers could not get into their rural located office because of deep snow, so this 'other' check box might be merely a temporary fix and clearer guidance and an integrated reinstallation of the DLLs with the main suite of software will follow soon when they work out why Windows 10 is acting abnormally. But it works fine with both options checked.

Yup - I didn't have to select either of the core entries that now seem to be selectable (and not be default), when doing a fresh install.  They only became selectable when I ran the install as an upgrade.   Just a glitch by the look of things - sounds like they may have sorted on the as-yet-unreleased version of the drivers that Olly has been given.  

Archived