NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Orion UK VX10L - any owners?

Very nice scopes, very manageable. I had a 12" f6 OO dob at the same time and the 10" was significantly lighter and easier to lift on the OO dob mount in one go.

At f6.3 it is a lovely planetary and lunar scope, also good on many DSOs apart from the larger ones due to the narrower fov.

I assume you are considering a dob version?

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Very nice scopes, very manageable. I had a 12" f6 OO dob at the same time and the 10" was significantly lighter and easier to lift on the OO dob mount in one go.

At f6.3 it is a lovely planetary and lunar scope, also good on many DSOs apart from the larger ones due to the narrower fov.

I assume you are considering a dob version?

Definitely a dob ? Either I would buy the whole OO kaboodle, or use a dob base I already have, so just buying an OTA.

I agree Stu about handling. My old Dark Star 12 F5 was bought 30 years ago.... my back is not what it was then, but a 10 inch F6 with 1/10 optics would be as good do you think?

Heath Robinson idea for using the 12 incher's mount and tube is to use those to accomodate a 10 inch OTA, sliding the latter in, then holding at each end using home made cradles from foam. 

I had one, but sold it to Gain lee 18 mths ago.

Its a big scope, and i found balancing it with binoviewers troublesome (not enough mass at the primary end)

It worked very well with my 31 Nagler, and once cooled gave great all round views.

It was a big scope to transport, taking up a lot of room in the car.

I decided i preferred the 1200mm FL so sold it and now have the 12" F4.

Archived