Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Good little notebook for astro, works?

MilwaukeeLion

Think i'm in shock, nothing ever works properly for me.  Been wanting fresh smaller notebook dedicated for imaging planets, solar, lunar, video observing.  Maybe just for guiding while capturing on my "old yeller" notebook that sometimes has problems doing both.  Having little to no skills especially building computer, wanted light weight note book with decent power priced lower than sct or refractor (Cause at that point I'd prob buy another scope). 

Settled on small HP Envy 360 ( i7, 16G, 1T HD, UHD graphics 620, great battery life, 2 usb3 ports, touch screen, lighted keypad, Bang & Olufsen speaker, win10).  What a joy this little note book is and most shocking my cameras, mounts and all the wonderful free astro programs work.  

3 hours of win updates, ready to upload astro programs.  Didn't realize how many acquired over last few years, took another few hours to install and test each:  Registax, AS3, DSS, PIPP, ASCOM, Gemini driver, Celestron driver, Stellarium Scope, Stellarium, PHD, NexRemote, ZWO drivers, SSAG driver, filter wheel driver, SharpCap, FireCapture, Nebulocity, Artemis Capture, LTVT, LR, PS, AI plug, HLVG plug, Gradientxterminator plug.

Everything communicates, images, captures, processes properly.  Backed everything up, waiting on clouds to clear.  Thanks to everyone who keeps the above programs running smoothly and freely !  Will report back if notebook implodes or anything.

IMG_4197 - Copy.JPG

IMG_4196 - Copy.JPG

11 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

Thats is a beast of a laptop for astro imaging.... I'm using a SONY VAIO i3 1TB SSD 3Gb RAM Vista Premium as my obsy computer... does the job.. I guess your laptop will do the job QUICKER. :-)

That's all that matters, does the job.  Other notebook is faster in PS/LR but heavy / MSI sounds like jet fighter taking off + poor battery power. 

8 hours ago, MilwaukeeLion said:

That's all that matters, does the job.  Other notebook is faster in PS/LR but heavy / MSI sounds like jet fighter taking off + poor battery power. 

Talking about noise and battery... first thing I did to the laptop was replace the internal 250Gb spindle HDD with a 1TB SSD.

Silent, FAST access and boot up and easier on the power consumption.

4 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

Talking about noise and battery... first thing I did to the laptop was replace the internal 250Gb spindle HDD with a 1TB SSD.

Silent, FAST access and boot up and easier on the power consumption.

Very nice, doubt I'm capable of pulling that off, struggled putting new battery in MSI had to remove 24 screws.  What happened to pop in & out batteries ?  Old notebook has Ethernet running mount. Will use old for DSO guiding, new for capturing & solar system guiding.

Archived