NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Using my dob for lunar/planet imaging with a DSLR?

pipnina

Of course, not being driven targets would glide across the view, but with short enough exposure & with planets that probably won't be a problem?

I use a Sky-Watcher 250a:1200f dob for observing, but am interested in potentially using it for some planetary imaging. I understand there is a converter (T2, M48?) that allows cameras like my nikon to be attached to telescopes like this, but I also know there are drawbacks like backfocus and exposing the sensor to atmosphere directly.

Could this setup work? The only alternative we have tried is phone-to-eyepiece which doesn't produce very good results (too many lenses in the way, and we get a lot of bloom, CA etc.) I'm also not quite sure what converter I would need.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like you have a similar setup to mine, I have a 200p with a Nikon D3100 and D3400. You'll need a Nikon T-Ring adapter, which are available from FLO https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/t-rings.html This has a screw thread on it which attaches to a T-mount. On my telescope there is one as part of the 2 inch to 1.25 inch eyepiece adapter which can be unscrewed into two parts. Back focus doesn't seem to be a problem with lunar photography. It's been a while since I've done it though so I can't remember if the 2" eyepiece adapter needs to be included too when setting up

9 minutes ago, Mognet said:

Looks like you have a similar setup to mine, I have a 200p with a Nikon D3100 and D3400. You'll need a Nikon T-Ring adapter, which are available from FLO https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/t-rings.html This has a screw thread on it which attaches to a T-mount. On my telescope there is one as part of the 2 inch to 1.25 inch eyepiece adapter which can be unscrewed into two parts. Back focus doesn't seem to be a problem with lunar photography. It's been a while since I've done it though so I can't remember if the 2" eyepiece adapter needs to be included too when setting up

Not many threads on my equipment. I've posted pictures of my stuff below.

So does the T-ring adaptor attach to the camera like a lens, and then on the other side attach to something else with a T2 thread? (Like a focuser or adapter?) What would I need if my equipment doesn't have the right threads?

IMG_20180303_205409122.thumb.jpg.d432e2b1b3e7712fad3be93f528ffe85.jpg

This is my focuser w/o any adapters. (No threads)

IMG_20180303_205504600.thumb.jpg.cdb8272aa05e4ac85b0e048354b881a1.jpg

My 2" extension (has threads, don't know what type but they point into the focuser)

IMG_20180303_205747796.thumb.jpg.d5df316b175ec3ebbf1514a9bd0c0a33.jpg

My 2"-1.25" adaptor (bottom, no threads)

IMG_20180303_205753950.thumb.jpg.e1349688c15c9a8c149f7d5db4fbd1b7.jpg

2"-1.25" adapter (top, no threads)

Thanks for the help!

Your adapter looks different to mine. I've got a 2" to 1.25" that looks like this

5a9b38b487fab_20180303_221759small.thumb.jpg.621aa9e52c820440e376d109ab8d7817.jpg

It has both an internal and external thread , and separates into two parts like this. And the bottom part now shown in the middle then screws into the t-ring shown on the right

5a9b3907292b9_20180303_221918small.thumb.jpg.31c8be3fba562dccff550ad259b98797.jpg

Like this

5a9b39511e11b_20180303_221949small.thumb.jpg.8e77ba9351491cd485c30e5ff85615d1.jpg

Then the t-ring assembly fits into the camera in place of the lens

5a9b39cfc6a36_20180303_224545small.thumb.jpg.32d835d101e99675952e79a466cd568b.jpg

2 minutes ago, Mognet said:

Your adapter looks different to mine. I've got a 2" to 1.25" that looks like this

It has both an internal and external thread , and separates into two parts like this. And the bottom part now shown in the middle then screws into the t-ring shown on the right

Like this

Then the t-ring assembly fits into the camera in place of the lens

Now that you've mentioned it, my 2"-1.25" must be the same as yours, as I managed to unscrew it into the same two components as yours. I never new it was two different pieces. :happy8::rolleyes:

So if I had the t-ring, I would have everything I need to attach the camera to my telescope? Thanks again.

10 hours ago, Mognet said:

Hopefully that's all you need. I've had success in photographing the moon with my setup, not had much chance at planets yet

Thanks for the info! I'll reply here again once I've had the chance to test it :)

1 hour ago, Demonperformer said:

I think the main problem could be that you will get so hooked on AP that you will then spend thousands on a full AP setup. :icon_biggrin:

This worries me as well.

Not me specifically, but my wallet.

Astrophotography does get addictive. I started with a few shots of the moon through my scope, then graduated to DSLR widefield using a tripod, then a SW SynScan alt-az mount. Now I'm looking at making my own powered EQ mount for the camera. Only thing that has stopped me rushing out and buying a Star Adventurer is my bank balance

1 hour ago, Mognet said:

Astrophotography does get addictive. I started with a few shots of the moon through my scope, then graduated to DSLR widefield using a tripod, then a SW SynScan alt-az mount. Now I'm looking at making my own powered EQ mount for the camera. Only thing that has stopped me rushing out and buying a Star Adventurer is my bank balance

Now that sure is the truth for many on SGL Mognet

Just now, Victor Boesen said:

I use almost this exact setup for my live view voice overs and solar system videos. It works ok, but the focal length is just a little too short to get any surface detail on Jupiter and examine smaller craters on the moon.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYSfXUcdonwWX9atnbGzb1Q

So a 2x barlow might be useful?

7 minutes ago, Victor Boesen said:

It might be, but it would hawe to be a 2" Barlow, because a 1,25" won't do the job. I have a 1,25" Barlow and I can't seem to reach focus no matter what I do.

Do you have trouble reaching focus outwards or inwards? I presume outwards since I think barlows push focus outwards?

10 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

Maybe I am missing something, but would an extension tube not solve that problem?

You'd think so, but the thing then is having an extension tube long enough. Especially since the extension tube that comes with the skywatcher 10" is already used to get prime focus with just DSLR and is fairly long itself.

Another matter could be that if focusing too far outwards, you might cause vignetting by cropping the edges of the secondary mirror?

Archived