SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Comet C/2010 U3 Boattini - at last!

During February I have made three attempts to observe C/2010 U3 Boattini. The first attempt was a fail. The second attempt left me with two possible outcomes but I had a feeling for the "small fuzzy blob" that I had found but could not re-find!

Finally, I confirmed my sighting last night and I was very satisfied when I did :)

I use Sky Safari to control my push-to dobsonian and I am not convinced that the location in the app is spot-on. This comet has been a challenge to get into the field of view which is not usally the case with comets & Sky Safari?

Either way, if you are looking for this comet then I can confirm "IT IS THERE"!

My observation notes from 13 Feb 2018

C/2010 U3 (Boattini) – I set about searching for the mag 15 comet. I centered up the push-to with the ethos13 (x150) inserted and then moved to ethos10 (x200). I could not find the comet for definite. There were two possible glimpses (1) I did spot a small fuzzy blob near a patch of stars but failed to re-find it (it did not tally with the Sky Safari location but it was close) (2) I thought I saw a tail cutting through the fov (this was the same experience that I had on Sunday when searching for the same object) but the scale of the tail seemed too long and wide to be true. I will keep trying but could probably do with some better conditions. :( 

My observation notes 20 Feb 2018

C/2010 U3 Boattini – I can finally say that I have seen this comet! I managed to confirm the sighting from last week, it had only moved a slight amount and I confirmed this morning that it is very slow moving comet. In the E10 it was a faint small fuzzy patch below a small group of stars (which I recognized from last week). In the E8 (x250) it was an improved fuzzy patch (but still hard work) and finally in the E6 (x348) I got glimpses of a “dot” core but it was very hard to focus as this was too much magnification for the conditions. Still, I am pleased to have finally tied it down!

Here is the expected path for C/2010 U3 Boattini...

boattini.jpg.37cd8fbc4e2f789d99ec58d5af8c8d86.jpg

Archived