Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skytee2 Mount mod & testing

Knighty2112

After getting round to getting a tap and die set on sale at B&Q for just £3 (might not be the best quality, but the tap worked great for creating the two M6 threaded holes I needed on the mount), I drilled out and tapped two M6 holes on the opposite end of the T part of the shaft to enable a Vixen saddle to be fitted to the opposite side so that any scopes fitted to the mount can be balanced out much better than you ever can using the top saddle and the side saddle. One of the other reasons was also so that I could allign both scopes up on the mount much better, as previously after aligning scopes up it was quite easy for the top saddle with a scope fitted to move out of alignment, regardless of how tight it was locked in place.

Taking the Skytee2 mount out tonight to test using both my Celestron Omni 120 f8.3 ‘frac on one end of the mount, and my small Opticstar AR90S f5.5 ‘frac at the other end, I balanced the mount nicely so that no weights were required to keeps the scopes from plummeting either down or up when the clutches were released. I adjusted the guidscope mount that I have attached to the end that was holding the Opticstar AR90S, so that everything lined up central in both FOV’s in each EP’s. Although the sky was clear, the sky conditions weren’t great for some reason, but M42 looked pretty good, especially in the 120mm ‘frac. I was using a Celestron X-Cel 18mm EP in the 120mm scope, and a Maxvision 20mm EP in the 90mm Opticstar scope. I then decided to hunt down the Eskimo planetary nebula in Gemini. After seeing this plenty of times using my goto mount, I knew approximately where it lay in Gemini, so promptly started to hunt around for it. After 10 or so minutes and not finding it I went in to get my iPad Pro out to enable me to use some help from Skysafari. After a little star hoping using the said app, I found the small sickle of stars just above the Eskimo nebula in my Opticstar ‘frac, so the planetary should just lay below this sickle. Looking through the 120mm ‘frac the planetary nebula was easy to see in the FOV, whereas in the smaller ‘frac it was’t quite as easy to make out due to lower magnification, and lower light grasp than the other scope.

I then hunted around for both Bodes, but as they were quite high up it was a little hard to get comfortable to find them, so I gave up and went to look for the Beehive cluster in Cancer instead. Finding that easily, I then looked also at the Pleaides too. Finally, I wound up in Auriga hunting down M36, M37 & M38, which were great sights to see in the 120mm ‘frac.

With chilly feet after just over an hour, I decided to call it a night. The main purpose tonight (other than trying some manual starhoping for a chqnge) was to test to see if both scopes on the mount stayed in alignment with each other, which I am pleased to say they did, so the mod to the mount was successful. I plan to usitilise this mount and combination of scopes to do some lunar, planetary and solar imaging with my ZWO ASI 120 MC CCD, so now waiting for the moon to come round again to get some practice in with the camera, so that when Jupiter and Mars get to more favourable times to observe with I can turn my attention to them also. All in all a step forward with the Skytee2 mount with the mod fitted to it. :) 

102CE98E-8985-439B-9CA1-BE94521B24A8.thumb.jpeg.5ec6e21d9377a06ceaee5a99c456b829.jpeg

8E8940B6-E1FF-4E6C-A7DC-B3E62EE18D9D.thumb.jpeg.58eef8b6cd6832e0f568631c8fea51a6.jpeg

Many thanks for the above, and congratulations in making your Skytee 2 improved! The clutches workings is that mounts main weak point IMO.

I have a ST80 as companion/finder for my main scopes, which I mount on the side saddle, the big fracs or SCT on top.

3 hours ago, 25585 said:

Many thanks for the above, and congratulations in making your Skytee 2 improved! The clutches workings is that mounts main weak point IMO.

I have a ST80 as companion/finder for my main scopes, which I mount on the side saddle, the big fracs or SCT on top.

I had previously also re-greased all moving parts with a less sticky grease than used by the manufacturer, which also made it more smooth to move on both axis. 

• 3 weeks later...

@Knighty2112 I'm interested in doing the same mod to my SkyTee but have a quick question.

On the end of the SkyTee that you've just modified is the end adjustable in the alt axis or does it only fit in a particular way making the placement of the new holes absolutely critical?

Ade

28 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

@Knighty2112 I'm interested in doing the same mod to my SkyTee but have a quick question.

On the end of the SkyTee that you've just modified is the end adjustable in the alt axis or does it only fit in a particular way making the placement of the new holes absolutely critical?

Ade

That end of the Skytee with the new saddle on is screwed onto the t-bar until it rests against the upper saddle bracket. This is then secured in its position by three small grub screws. What I did was mark it up as best as I can so the saddle sits horizontal on the end. After unscrewing and taking off the end part, the drilliing I did was only slightly off from this (drilling done by hand, not on a mount), but once you’ve attached the saddle on to the mount you can then adjust the saddle position slightly if needed by undoing the three small grub screws recessed in the end part, then levelling the saddle so it is level with the opposite saddle as best as you can, and then lock up the three grub screws again. I do however fitted on the opposite end where the smaller ‘frac is positioned have it mounted on to the Skytee 2 with a second hand guidscope mount I bought a while back, and adapter plate to allow it to be screwed on to the mount, which allows me to line up the small refractor with the larger Celestron 120mm f8.3 ‘frac on the other end perfectly.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/guide-cameras/skywatcher-guidescope-mount.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/guide-cameras/flo-adapter-for-skywatcher-guidescope-mount.html

Archived