Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_open_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.6f22fafea012ea83480eb785879332c2.jpg

Nice clear night bagged the Crab Nebula . 

The faintest of smudges. There is the love!

• Like 5

Nice one!  I find detaiil can be highly variable detail with conditions.  Cool to read all the history behind it, the pulsar and see the amazing vids of its expansion over the years :thumbsup:

That is iconic object for me. Something to do with its history, I suspect, or maybe just that it was first in Messier's list. Whatever it is, that first view is a moment to treasure. Congratulations. Was it with the 200, or did you manage it with the 130?

Out of interest, I managed to nab M1 with a pair of Canon's 10 x 30 binoculars. I was waiting for the 1999 Leonid meteor shower to get going at a dark sky site in Southern Portugal.

I also remember coming across it some 20 years ago when idly trying out my newly made 16" dob. This big, bright cloud appeared in the field of view and I thought "What The Heck is THAT", shortly to be identified as M1.

Ahhh!!  Memories

I wonder what it looks like in a 25" 'scope? Aperture fever rides again:help:

Nigel

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

That is iconic object for me. Something to do with its history, I suspect, or maybe just that it was first in Messier's list. Whatever it is, that first view is a moment to treasure. Congratulations. Was it with the 200, or did you manage it with the 130?

it was with the 200p. I dead reckoned it with the telrad and viewfinder then bagged it with the Panaview 32mm. Faintest of whisps a little more distinct in 18mm

• Like 1

Congratulations on viewing this iconic object, so much history and not the easiest of Messier's catalogue to view.

• Like 1