Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M1 Tonight

sockgoblin

Out of interest, I managed to nab M1 with a pair of Canon's 10 x 30 binoculars. I was waiting for the 1999 Leonid meteor shower to get going at a dark sky site in Southern Portugal.

I also remember coming across it some 20 years ago when idly trying out my newly made 16" dob. This big, bright cloud appeared in the field of view and I thought "What The Heck is THAT", shortly to be identified as M1.

Ahhh!!  Memories

I wonder what it looks like in a 25" 'scope? Aperture fever rides again:help:

Nigel

10 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

That is iconic object for me. Something to do with its history, I suspect, or maybe just that it was first in Messier's list. Whatever it is, that first view is a moment to treasure. Congratulations. Was it with the 200, or did you manage it with the 130?

it was with the 200p. I dead reckoned it with the telrad and viewfinder then bagged it with the Panaview 32mm. Faintest of whisps a little more distinct in 18mm

Archived