Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

It begins, the LVW, Panoptic, Plossl comparison.

Alan White

If the weight isn't a problem Alan the 28mm 68 is a good eyepiece.

For some reason though, the ES Argon purged version is not as good as the Maxvision version. I don't know why, but unlike the rest of the MV and ES 68 ranges, where the equivalent focal lengths are, I believe,  optically identical, on this one size , the 28mm, there is a difference in the optical design, to the detriment of the ED version..

I think more opinions on this topic can be found on the US forum.

I also found the LVW to be sharper further out to the edge, although there isn't much in it: since the MV has a 68 deg fov versus the 65 deg of the LVW, the "sharp" portion is actually very similar.

FWIW I preferred the ES24 68 version or the ES34mm (which is heavier again but is a wonderful low power eyepiece IMO).

HTH☺

Dave

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, F15Rules said:

It's a great ep but a big heavy unit, much more than the LVW -  and I thought weight was a big deal for you Alan?:glasses12:

Dave

Decloaked, the 28mm MV should lose a few ounces bringing closer in weight to the 27mm Panoptic and only a few ounces heavier than the 22mm LVW.

20 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Decloaked, the 28mm MV should lose a few ounces bringing closer in weight to the 27mm Panoptic and only a few ounces heavier than the 22mm LVW.

And IMO they look much better decloaked too, but this is a subjective thing, some like the slimmed down look, others don't...?

Dave

• 1 month later...

Having tested them all in the 150p f5 and the Evostar ED80,
I can report back that they all work very well indeed.

The LVW and Panoptic have won out for comfort, filed of view and the slightly darker sky they present due to being 22mm and 19mm against the 25mm Plossl.
The additional glass has not noticed to be an issue, which I thought it might have done.

Both are staying and going nowhere for differing reasons.

The 19mm Panoptic, because its small, works well, balances well with my shorter scopes and its just cute.
The 22mm LVW, because it works well, easy eye placement, presents a pleasant image to my eye, has longer eye-relief so usable by others easily and its just a super star.

I cannot believe the 22mm LVW has caused me sleepless nights musing over its fate, I even dreamed about the flipping thing!  
So its made an impression with me and its my keeper and may end up with an addition when I find them.

The end result has amazed me, I thought the Panoptic was the main keeper, not the other keeper, if that makes sense?

5aeb1a870b223_LVW22mm.thumb.jpg.d52d70155758d80a056f8ffbd5122a29.jpg

So really a draw all round but for differing reasons, all valid ones.
Clearly we all find the peculiarities of any kit suits us or it does not.

Archived