Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

  • Announcements

    sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_widefield_winners.thumb.jpg.89a389e06ea148084fc6cb2e2cf32749.jpg

kirkster501

Flats at 49000 ADU with shortest possible exposure

Recommended Posts

sloz1664    589
4 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

Steve,

@sloz1664

Is this the Arduino code you installed on your device to run the panel?

https://github.com/jwellman80/ArduinoLightbox/blob/master/LEDLightBoxAlnitak.ino

You just cut and pasted that as an Arduino sketch? Simple as that?

Thanks, Steve

Hi Steve

Just download the the zip file and expand the files into a suitable folder. I then "double  click" the ino file, it opens the arduino programme and then asks you if you want to put the sketch into a folder, agree and it opens the sketch. You will need to modify the sketch to assign the digital pin 3 output, as detailed in the github webpage. You will need to use an Arduino Uno and not a Nano. I found using 12 volts, especially at 2 amp, overheats the Nano and they will fail at some point. 

Any other queries, please do not hesitant to post.

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kirkster501    1,624

Great Steve!  Many thanks!  So you drive the LED panel at 5v by coming off of the Arduino Uno 5v pin?????  If so does that supply enough current to drive the panel?

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kirkster501    1,624

I got the sketch loaded into my Arduino Uno driving an LED perfectly.  I next need to hook it up to a transistor and then hook it into SGP and be happy that all works prior to getting the panel.  It should still dim/brighten the LED a little bit if I just use a couple of levels in SGP

This is a great idea Steve you linked to! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sloz1664    589
58 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

Great Steve!  Many thanks!  So you drive the LED panel at 5v by coming off of the Arduino Uno 5v pin?????  If so does that supply enough current to drive the panel?

Steve

No the LED Panel is 12 volt. I'm using my existing 12 volt power through the Arduino. That's why I upgraded to the Uno.

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sloz1664    589

Hi Steve,

You could always just buy the Panel & not hook it through SGPro. The panel has 3 separate settings. 25%, 50% & 100%. Low light for  the LRGB & a higher setting for the Astrodon(s).

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kirkster501    1,624
2 hours ago, sloz1664 said:

No the LED Panel is 12 volt. I'm using my existing 12 volt power through the Arduino. That's why I upgraded to the Uno.

Steve

Got it Steve.  Working on it now :)

Deffo want to control it from SGP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sloz1664    589

I've had an slight issue with my LED Panel and SGPro. The dimming feature of 0 - 255 levels goes from bright to very bright, which is no good for a flats through a Lum filter and the minimum requirement of a 2 second exposure for my Atik 383L+. I purchased two pieces of A2 thick opaque drafting film to place over the panel to reduce the brightness, to no avail. Still too bright. I fitted some dark grey material onto the panel,  again too bright. Luckily I have a couple of dimmer units I once used for dew control. Attached one of these and now I have complete control of the LED panel. I will adjust the brightness via the dimmer unit to acheive a 35000 adu at 2 seconds with a Lum filter and the SGpro flat panel setting at zero. I then can set the RGB and NB filters in varying brightness between 0 - 255, via SGPro to achieve the required 35000 adu setting in the optimum time.

Dimmer Switch

5a881048a2262_Dimmerunit.JPG.6b90f44f462445e25e0caa776b319813.JPG 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kirkster501    1,624

Thanks for sharing Steve.  I got the Arduino working to an LED just fine.  I am having a problem getting old of a panel though.  The place you linked to no longer has them.  The other A2's on the bay are USB powered ones, which is not what we want....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sloz1664    589

To be honest Steve a 5v LED Panel would work. There is a 5v outlet on the Arduino board. Connect that as your power and you should be good to go.

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ollypenrice    18,145

My experience of using the dimmer control on a couple or three panels I've used here was not very positive. They seem to introduce flicker. Given that inserting and removing a few sheets of typing paper is both simple and infallible, I've never been minded to search for a more complicated solution! But, yes, I do indeed go for 'simple' whenever possible.

Olly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sloz1664    589
22 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

My experience of using the dimmer control on a couple or three panels I've used here was not very positive. They seem to introduce flicker. Given that inserting and removing a few sheets of typing paper is both simple and infallible, I've never been minded to search for a more complicated solution! But, yes, I do indeed go for 'simple' whenever possible.

Olly

I agree the dimmer control can introduce flicker, which seems to be around the 50% - 75% mark. Having it set at 25% there seems to be no flicker visible. Unfortunately Olly as I'm a Mechanical / Electrical Engineer nothing is simple :)

Steve 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kirkster501    1,624
15 hours ago, sloz1664 said:

I agree the dimmer control can introduce flicker, which seems to be around the 50% - 75% mark. Having it set at 25% there seems to be no flicker visible. Unfortunately Olly as I'm a Mechanical / Electrical Engineer nothing is simple :)

Steve 

Yes, I was thinking to set the panel at 25% permanently and adjust the exposures, or as Olly suggests, keep it simple and get the sheets of A4 out!  Sometimes the mickey mouse option is the best one.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sloz1664    589
3 hours ago, kirkster501 said:

Yes, I was thinking to set the panel at 25% permanently and adjust the exposures, or as Olly suggests, keep it simple and get the sheets of A4 out!  Sometimes the mickey mouse option is the best one.....

I've been looking into this a little deeper and from what I can gather the mosfet transister in the circuit should render the screen at zero, barely light visible and at level 255 fully on. This certainly does not do that in my set up. The only explanation is I have a faulty mosfet transister. As I have only the one, I have ordered a couple more and they should arrive Wednesday. I will update then.

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kirkster501    1,624

The transistor should pulse (Pulse Width Modulation) between 0 (fully OFF) up to 255 (fully ON)times a second.  The higher the number of pulses (from the Arduino Pin 3 connected to the trabnsistor base) the more times the transistor will switch off and on and the brighter the panel will be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sloz1664    589
27 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

The transistor should pulse (Pulse Width Modulation) between 0 (fully OFF) up to 255 (fully ON)times a second.  The higher the number of pulses (from the Arduino Pin 3 connected to the trabnsistor base) the more times the transistor will switch off and on and the brighter the panel will be.

Fully agree Steve, but when I connect my Panel at 0(fully off) it's bright at around 80% and brightening in pulses to fully bright at 100%

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sloz1664    589

Good news, I have found the problem it appeared to be a faulty transistor. Ordered a couple of replacements (just in case). The replacement transistor fitted and the Light Panel works as it should. 

Steve

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×