Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

AZEQ6GT positioning query

TCF

I have only recently got back to using my setup, been ill for a while. Last night I was out in my shed/observatory and used my AZEQ6 via EQMOD. After polar alignment using the polemaster .

But when moving to star alignment the mount would be out by some distance. I gave up in despair last night after two hours of getting nowhere. I checked again today to see if I could find out the problem.  One of the things I noticed was with my handset connected I noticed that the RA and DEC reading on my handset are different from the RA and DEC reading when using EQMOD. The readings pointing roughly at Polaris where on my handset DEC +90:00:00 and RA 8h26m. I then connected EQMOD and the reading on there was DEC +90:00:00 RA 2h55m. So i am not sure if this was the problem last night but it seems strange.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tam

If you are using EQMod, plug your PC directly into the mount & forget the handset, and you must not swap between handset control and PC control.  

Discrepancies are usually down to time\time zone\location differences

It seems to be a quirk of the EQ6-GT that you need to restart the mount power after polar aligning with the scope in the home position - I remember I had issues not dissimilar to yours and a switch on and off is now part of my set-up procedure.

Julian

Thanks for that, I don't use them both at the same time, I unplug the handset and connect a cable direct to the PC then use EQMOD. It was out of curiosity that I checked what the handset was reading to see what was causing my problem. But thanks for the reply anyway.

russp, I used to do just exactly that but was informed a few months ago that it was no longer needed due to software upgrades on the AZEQ6. I will give that a try again and see if it helps so thanks.

Tam

8 minutes ago, TCF said:

Julian

Thanks for that, I don't use them both at the same time, I unplug the handset and connect a cable direct to the PC then use EQMOD. It was out of curiosity that I checked what the handset was reading to see what was causing my problem. But thanks for the reply anyway.

russp, I used to do just exactly that but was informed a few months ago that it was no longer needed due to software upgrades on the AZEQ6. I will give that a try again and see if it helps so thanks.

Tam

Cool - I should look into upgrading my software then (I'm guessing a firmware update is required) :)

Julian,  Guess what I did that this morning, as I haven't used my equipment for a few months I updated everything. It was after this I checked the readings and found the discrepancy.

Thanks

Tam

The RA / DEC coordinates displayed on EQMOD are subject to adjustment by any pointing model or syncs that may be active. For a direct comparision between EQMOD and the hanset you nee dto make sure any mode and/or active sync have been cleared and that time and location are exactly the same.

Swaping between EQMOD and the handset really needs a power cycle with the mount in the home position - othewise one, ot both are going to get confused.

Archived