Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Clefts galore

mikeDnight

For 45 minutes from 5pm  (Wed 24 Jan), I had a clear spell that allowed me to revisit an old favourite. Werner, situated in the southern uplands is nicely displaying a fine cleft running from a mountain peak in the north to the south west wall. The cleft then traverses the craters terracing and extends out on to the rough uplands in a SW direction until it becomes lost in the chaotic terrain. Its worth taking a look as this cleft is hardly ever shown in maps or images.

Then take a look at the Alpine Valley! Crossing the floor about mid way in a width wise direction is a fine dark cleft. This can be traced when the illumination is right, up into Mare frigoris. 

Many more clefts are on show tonight, so if you've got a clear sky, see if you can trace their paths. Try for the Werner cleft first though!

I was using a 100mm scope and a power of X197 to X269. :icon_cyclops_ani:

In the attached sketch from a previous observation, north is top!

5a68d0f11d39b_2018-01-0912_51_26.thumb.jpg.fcde52accbb6ff517a55e2f9bcc1269b.jpg

Archived