NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which mount/tripod combo for tv60

I’m off for a family holiday in Gran Canaria later this year and am limited for this trip to taking my smallest scope, a tv60. However, I’m undecided about which mount/tripod to take with me. I had a bit of a rummage through my kit this evening to see what possibilities I have - was quite fun! ?

So having worked out 3 possible options, I’d be interested in views/experiences of these, which are:

1) tecnosky elle on photo tripod. This is the most portable option and I’ve used it abroad before. However, I found tracking targets particularly at higher magnifications a bit tricky.

2) porta 2 on vixen photo tripod. This is less portable but the mount would go in the hold anyway. I like the slo mo controls and before my recent move to goto mounts, this type of alt az slo mo mount was my favourite type.

3) az gti on photo tripod. I would take the mount with my in hand luggage so could make me a bit unpopular with my partner ?. Also would require me to take my tracer battery. However it would be rather nice to be able to use goto.

Any thoughts/comments?

Gavin

2FD9F7F6-A94F-4210-AC3B-DB7B76480D22.jpeg

5E7609D0-EB0A-4BED-930C-D6219828B445.jpeg

269516C0-96D5-47A1-9109-253EB54181E1.jpeg

A nice fun project Gavin :)

A couple of questions first.

Any reason why the AZGTi won't go in the hold the same as the other two?

I've seen a finder mounted on the dew shield via the two bolts there, would this be an option to keep things more compact?

So, I had a Technosky Elle mount, but sent it back as it was heavier than advertised and not so smooth.

The Porta looks nice and perhaps tempting from a simplicity point of view. I guess you are likely to be doing relatively low power sweeps of the MW etc and finding things should be relatively easy.

Another option might be none of these ;). With such a light scope, have you seen the trick of using a ball head photo mount on its side? Might be much easier and more compact. I'll post up the thread on it.

Here you go:

Thanks for the comments Stu.

I’m a bit uncomfortable about putting the az gti in the hold just in case it gets banged and damages the internal electronics - maybe I shouldn’t worry about this...

Regarding putting a finder on the dewshield - yes there are two screws to put a small finder there, but I think if you use anything other than the televue red dot finder you need to make your own bracket. Also I think I prefer mounting the finder separately, particularly as the l-plate I have makes this easy.

Interesting you’ve had the tecnosky Elle (any equipment you haven’t tried ?). I found it reasonably smooth but it seemed to get knocked off targets easily.

My first thought was the porta due to the slo mo and lack of battery power requirements. 

I’ll have a look at your link.

9 minutes ago, GavStar said:

My first thought was the porta due to the slo mo and lack of battery power requirements. 

Yes, if you've got room for it I think that would work well. Solid and no hassle.

Close to my heart, this one. :happy11: Hitherto, for air travel, I've opted for the lightest and most compact option in my arsenal - with the compromise on tracking ability, etc.

DSC_0892.thumb.JPG.a407657f3846ea9d4921ddf46e6d8096.JPG

Aside:

15 hours ago, GavStar said:

Regarding putting a finder on the dewshield - yes there are two screws to put a small finder there, but I think if you use anything other than the televue red dot finder you need to make your own bracket.

Not quite so, I've used the bracket off my TV-85, the spacing of the screw holes is (naturally) identical. I did use a couple of small rubber washers to keep the bracket separated from the dew shield and - as I am using the screws that came with the bracket, which are a bit longer than the screws which come on the dew shield - to keep the screws from protruding through the dew shield and scratching the tube when retracted.

DSC_1282.thumb.JPG.140bc8df980a45d72ec0ee0720bb1db0.JPG

DSC_1283.thumb.JPG.2998768b499abe6d05e3e4348c3c713d.JPG

DSC_1284.thumb.JPG.dab73d1db054b94981654c3a1f3a4f89.JPG

This is the bracket in question:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p8710_TeleVue-Quick-Release-Finder-Scope-Bracket.html

Back to mounts:

On 1/16/2018 at 23:57, GavStar said:

porta 2 on vixen photo tripod. This is less portable but the mount would go in the hold anyway. I like the slo mo controls and before my recent move to goto mounts, this type of alt az slo mo mount was my favourite type.

15 hours ago, GavStar said:

I'm right there with you. :icon_biggrin: If it fits in your hold luggage, go for it. I'm very much contemplating taking mine with me next time.

DSC_0943.thumb.JPG.5468e5bc5a192f30999415235e6b4970.JPG

Assumption is that the setup won't travel far - if at all - from the hotel or other accommodation (balcony observatory, perhaps?). Hiking up a hill with a Porta 2 may be doable, but... well, you know.

Haven't boarded the goto train yet - not sure I ever will. :happy11:

Thanks Mike.

I didn’t know about the televue finder bracket - interesting. My tv85 just connects the star beam to the centre clamp.

Yes not intending to go far at all from the hotel room, probably balcony if light pollution isn’t too bad. I observed Saturn from Portugal last year and got some nice views since it was a lot higher in the sky than the UK.

Just wondered how you mount your tv60 to the porta 2?

23 minutes ago, GavStar said:

My tv85 just connects the star beam to the centre clamp.

As does mine. The other slot on the clamshell had this installed - apparently an option acquired by a previous owner. :happy11:

25 minutes ago, GavStar said:

I observed Saturn from Portugal last year and got some nice views since it was a lot higher in the sky than the UK.

Yes, this is also one of the perks of our regular Aegean holidays. :icon_biggrin:

28 minutes ago, GavStar said:

Just wondered how you mount your tv60 to the porta 2?

Well, I have added a dovetail bar. Makes it nicely standardized for use on multiple mounts. A couple of 1/4" bolts does the trick. Will get you detailed pics tomorrow.

DSC_1236.thumb.JPG.7971079f33127e990d225813a32c9263.JPG

Gavin, I believe that somewhere in my 'parts bin' I have a Televue RDF finder which would fit on the dewshield if you want to try this option?

As also previously offered, my Giro-WR would be quite happy to go on a foreign trip (in the hold) to warmer climes if it would help. Just shout if you want to give it a try.

25 minutes ago, Stu said:

Gavin, I believe that somewhere in my 'parts bin' I have a Televue RDF finder which would fit on the dewshield if you want to try this option?

As also previously offered, my Giro-WR would be quite happy to go on a foreign trip (in the hold) to warmer climes if it would help. Just shout if you want to give it a try.

Many thanks Stu - I’ve almost got too many options! ?

• 2 weeks later...

So I think I’m nearly there with my preferred setup.

Having put a vixen dovetail bar on the tv60, this means mounting the tv60 sideways and I have concerns about the stresses this puts on the small tv60 photo mount bit. So I think I’m going to stick with my L-bracket which gives a more secure setup imo.

Just need to decide whether it’s the porta 2 or az gti. I think I’m moving to taking the goto Mount with me. Nice to have tracking.

2 minutes ago, GavStar said:

Having put a vixen dovetail bar on the tv60, this means mounting the tv60 sideways and I have concerns about the stresses this puts on the small tv60 photo mount bit.

I know there's no way I can reassure you.  :icon_biggrin:  I am thinking about using an L-bracket to put the TV-60 next to the Borg 71FL on a Porta 2, just for fun.

On 17/01/2018 at 23:23, iPeace said:

Close to my heart, this one. :happy11: Hitherto, for air travel, I've opted for the lightest and most compact option in my arsenal - with the compromise on tracking ability, etc.

DSC_0892.thumb.JPG.a407657f3846ea9d4921ddf46e6d8096.JPG

Hi Mike, what's that mount head?

I use this tripod when I have to be extremely light. 

The TV60 is a bit heavy for it, so it works okay when the legs are not fully retracted (especially the last and thinner leg section). 

For spanning the Milky Way at low power, it works but a hand should hold the altitude handle, just for extra security.   

IMG_20150504_221116.thumb.jpg.321cc2cb8cb21f284eee99423911473b.jpgIMG_20150504_223629.thumb.jpg.de0f7aa77927bdf382c57e02c9eba6b1.jpg

On 27/01/2018 at 14:20, iPeace said:

I know there's no way I can reassure you.  :icon_biggrin:  I am thinking about using an L-bracket to put the TV-60 next to the Borg 71FL on a Porta 2, just for fun.

I recommend the l- bracket from ts optics - much better than the vixen one imo.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve just had my trip to Gran Canaria and in the end I went for option 3, the az gti on photo tripod. And it worked like a dream. Very portable and quick to set up. This will be my mount of choice for when I take a bigger frac to tenerife in the summer.

I only had two nights observing but it was certainly a case of quality over quantity.

The first session was just from my hotel balcony which doesn’t sound good but it actually had a great southerly aspect over the sea. I got my first ever view of Omega Centauri (about 15 degrees high) and it looked splendid in the tv60 despite the lack of aperture. Great to see the biggest glob at last.

At that time I also got some very good views of Jupiter and Mars at 90x mag. Nice banding on Jupiter. 

Then a few nights later I went on an Astro evening tour with astrogc. Great skies (see the photo ?). And it was fun to be able to use 16 inch dobs in those skies. We looked at the usual suspects - m31, m81/82, double cluster, m42 - all very impressive with both the dob and also pleasingly with my little tv60. M46 was also a fun object to see - another first for me and one I do want to go back to here in the UK.

Unfortunately there was limited time but just looking up at the night sky teeming with stars was an experience. I also saw the zodiacal light very clearly. And in the tv60 I also saw m33 - I don’t remember seeing this galaxy before so it was fun to see it. 

In summary, definitely worth taking my travel kit with me!

CAA766CE-EC0B-405E-A65D-B1E2B5DDEEB9.jpeg

Great stuff! :thumbsup:

You can see quite a lot of details on Jupiter with the TV60 at 90x with the right eyepiece.

Congrats for your great session! Observing those skies with a 16 inch telescope must be a dream!

On 27/01/2018 at 14:13, GavStar said:

Having put a vixen dovetail bar on the tv60, this means mounting the tv60 sideways and I have concerns about the stresses this puts on the small tv60 photo mount bit. So I think I’m going to stick with my L-bracket which gives a more secure setup imo.

My TV Ranger has the same type of sliding balance bar as the TV60. When attached to my Giro it is on sideways and no issues... so far!

IMG_0511.JPG.4afa2a03bbdadb3dae203f773423288b.JPG

If you are concerned about how secure the mounting block that the OTA & balance bar are attached, then all you need to do is remove the balance bar altogether. Mine has two fine hex grub screws, (one each end), which also act as safety stops. I removed the one under the helical focusser ---> pulled out the balance bar ---> removed the socket head screws ---> added some Loctite Theadlock ---> then reassemble in reverse order. It is secure and has taken the load of a 15mm TV plossl inside an aluminium eyepiece projection unit and a 2-mega pixel digital compact camera, (complete with 4x AA batteries).

Archived