NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

PHD 2 issues

alan potts

Hi Alan,i feel your pain,i am having the exact problems,what you have described and your feelings are as if i wrote this post,and i mean 100%.....i have been very close to forgetting about AP,but i really want to give this a go before this happens.so i will watch with interest mate.

Paul

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, moise212 said:

I think you should have 5 (at least) wires:

http://www.store.shoestringastronomy.com/guide_port_cables.pdf

Yes, thank-you I have just asked a fellow mod and he confirms this too ,it would appear that between us all we have found out at least one fly in the soup. This is without any doubt the cable that came with the camera, I don't have a 6 pin cable the same both ends. The only one I have is a 6 pin to RS 232 port, came with the mount I believe.

Anyway I am very grateful as help from all in the thread help me understand better and made me look deeper, lets hope that cracks it, now where to get a cable in Bulgaria.

Many thanks all of you,

alan

On 12/01/2018 at 20:56, moise212 said:

It's fairly easy to make one. With care, you can push the pins inside the connector even with the screwdriver. You need a cable, 2 RJ11 connectors and some other spare RJ11 connectors :D

Thanks for the connector info, I have a friend here that is a wizz with computors but he told me there are 3 standards of this 6 pin connector all looking the same but are not, so I am having a drink with him later, so RJ11 it is, he can make a proper one he has the gear. Lets cross finger and hope this sorts out all my woes. 

I feel your pain Alan. Am following this thread with great interest.

I've only just moved away from Maxim guiding to PHD and it's meant to be "Push Here Dummy" and just like you i'm finding this anything but ...

Now over the past year i have been happily guiding using MaximDL built in guide procedure and always calibrated on stars where i was imaging .... now i'm beginning to think i shouldn't have been doing that but i tell you what, it worked every time. It's only when i moved to PHD and applied the same technique, my calibration didn't work and neither did my guiding. In all fairness at the same night i tried to go back to Maxim and even that didn't want to calibrate so something is a miss here. Will have to check. This is where i will have to express my fears that i did hear a snap when i was slewing to my target so not sure what that was. Again will have to check.

Any way, will be keeping a close eye on this thread because it's producing some very useful info by everyone. 

Good luck with your AP adventures mate.

Archived