NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Synscan 3 handset

Hi all,

A friend gave me his Synscan 3 handset recently so I could could do a database rebuild for him.  I didn't have the mount so I used the 12v input on the handset to power it up.  Plugged in the cream coloured serial cable and then used a serial - USB adapter to plug into the PC.

At the time of the update the handset powered up, gave me the Synscan version and behaved exactly as the instructions said it would. Handed the unit back and assumed that would be the end of it.

So I was surprised when my friend contacted me to say after reconnecting the handset to the mount (EQ8) the handset was dead.  No power at all.  However the EQMOD cable he also has continues to work fine.

Not a major problem in the bigger picture but I now have the handset back to test and I agree that the handset no longer powers up. 

Any suggestions?

Hi there, I also did update my SYNSCAN HANDSET " the previous/old one I had with my EQ6 " exactly the same way, since I did not want to take my laptop outside where the mount was and my SYNSCAN HANDSET.. and for years it did work same way as you did it..

My new Sysnscan Handset from AZEQ5 (V4) does not support that anymore. the POWER PORT is missing.. 

Question, when you try to power up again with the 12v input, does the handset react  or powers up ? can you only check that  and do not forget to..

1. Press and hold down the key “0” & "8"simultaneously, then plug the power cord into the hand control !!

Regards

Martin

Hi Philip, ok, I did read few threads with same symptoms you have and all of then end up with one result, the USB - RS232 converter is the reason, which USB - RS232 converter  do you use ?  Mine is from LogiLink can you tell me what brand is yours ??  and another question, the FIRNWARE upload, was the upload always successfull ? or there were errors in the middle of the UPLOADING of the firmware ?

Fact is, you did not do anything wrong.. !! I think the  USB - RS232 converter coul d be faulty or try to change the LATOP/PC.. there were some other threads where a certain brand of LAPTOPs did also cause same issues you have..

The SYNSCAN HANDSET is still living, else it would not start in in UPDATE MODE ( 0&8 pressed ). Guess the FIRMWARE is faulty since it is " NOT BOOTING " if not in UPDATE MODE..

Try to find another USB-RS232 or try again with your USB-RS232 converter but on another PC / LAPTOP.. and make sure the UPLOAD is comleted 100%

Good luck

Martin 

Philip,

I think Martin may have a good point. I recently had to reflash a V3 which was "dead" according to the owner.

I use the Keyspan serial>usb adaptors.

It updated and accepted V3.37, no issues, no drama.

(Yes, we have Kangaroos in Australia ;-)  )

The USB - serial connection to the laptop is not the problem.  I can do updates through the PC no problem using the cream coloured serial to USB lead that Chris gave me.  It is when you reconnect the hand controller with the RJ plugs at each end to the mount (EQ8) that the problem arises.  Handset doesn't come on when you turn on the power to the mount.  EQMOD works fine though.

Looking at the bigger picture I don't think its a huge problem. I told my friend to concentrate on using EQMOD with a wireless gamepad. I know lots of people never use their Synscan handsets and my EQ6 pro came without one. 

I'm just curious mainly to know why the handset worked fine with the mount before the firmware update but now doesn't.

21 minutes ago, Philip Benson said:

The USB - serial connection to the laptop is not the problem.  I can do updates through the PC no problem using the cream coloured serial to USB lead that Chris gave me.  It is when you reconnect the hand controller with the RJ plugs at each end to the mount (EQ8) that the problem arises.  Handset doesn't come on when you turn on the power to the mount.  EQMOD works fine though.

Looking at the bigger picture I don't think its a huge problem. I told my friend to concentrate on using EQMOD with a wireless gamepad. I know lots of people never use their Synscan handsets and my EQ6 pro came without one. 

I'm just curious mainly to know why the handset worked fine with the mount before the firmware update but now doesn't.

Have you tried replacing the handset to mount cable ?

Archived