NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Putting the CCD to bed?

michael8554

I have recently bought a Celestron CCD which has modest fan-assisted cooling to -20C ambient, a mechanical shutter, and a IR cut window over the CCD.

I doesn't have a dessicant chamber.

What procedure would you recommend for warming it up and avoiding condensation after use?

Michael

Mine live on a permanent setup in the Obsy. The cool down/warm up is controlled by MaximDL / ACP, basically its scripted to cool down in stages so as not to form ice or shock & the same with the warm up. Other than that I run a dehumidifier in the Obsy.

I think if its a portable setup you're using then you'll want to cool down slowly enough that ice doesn't form & then warm up gently enough to avoid thermal shock, over a few minutes should be enough. I'd have thought storing in a low humidity not necessary a warm environment would be sufficient. If its soaking wet after use then yes you'll want to dry it out first.

Thanks  Spaced

I've only used it once and it went down to -20 quite quickly, when the rain stops :-} I'll try again but take it down in longer steps.

Warming up I switched off cooling and put the fan on high to clear moist air?

Michael 

5-10 minutes as a cool down and warm up time is reasonable.  I run my 16200 down to -15 and use a 10 minute cool and warm cycle.  I cool on connect, so by the time I'm ready to image I'm cooled, and then the warm up starts as soon as the last image has completed.  I don't think it's a recommended method to just shut off the cooling without warming up.

For storage, as long as it is dry and well ventilated it should be fine.  It's not a bad idea to as @andyboy1970 does and store it with a bit of desiccant just to help with any moisture.  You can get desiccant bags very cheaply on Amazon.

Should say my CCD is older with no controls for the cooling (to -30 below ambient) so I remove it from the scope and put it in the garage (Where it lives) to cool naturally rather than bring it into the house.

If I go to my darksite I drive there (22 miles away) with the heating in the car turned to cold and coming home I only just have a little bit of heat on.

Archived