NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jones-Emberson 1

Petergoodhew

Monsieur Penrice suggested that I have a go at this one on my last visit to Les Granges. It's a very faint (14th magnitude) planetary nebula also known under the snappy title of PK 164 +31.1.  This is a combined HA, OII, LRGB image captured remotely from Spain. A total of 36 hours.

JE1 crop.jpg

36 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

That's rather good! Indeed very rather good!! 

I might be inclined to let the LRGB bring the background up a bit but messers Jones and Emberson are strutting their stuff in fine style.

Olly

Thanks Olly.  Yes I'm very pleased with how it came out - much better than I expected.  I guess that's the benefit of capturing hours and hours of data!

I agree with Olly. The nebula is marvelous indeed and an unusual catch, but the background is a bit too dark and without structure - with 36 hours there may be a lot of dust to be found around the nebula. I think you may also have caught a galaxy next to the nebula. Also, I get the impression that the stars in the bottom half are mainly yellowish and those at top are mainly bluish - I wonder if that is an artifact.

Is this a crop or is the nebula that big in a 4.5" refractor?

Cheers

5 hours ago, gorann said:

I agree with Olly. The nebula is marvelous indeed and an unusual catch, but the background is a bit too dark and without structure - with 36 hours there may be a lot of dust to be found around the nebula. I think you may also have caught a galaxy next to the nebula. Also, I get the impression that the stars in the bottom half are mainly yellowish and those at top are mainly bluish - I wonder if that is an artifact.

Is this a crop or is the nebula that big in a 4.5" refractor?

Cheers

Thanks Goran. Most of the data was Ha and OIII with only 3 hours of Luminance - and I couldn't see any hint of dust but there's probably not enough data for that.  I haven't found dust in other images of this.

There are several small galaxies in the frame - but they are very small.  I might have a go at trying to draw them out more. I'm also wondering if some kind of colour gradient has crept into the stars (despite doing gradient removal on each channel). I'll take a look at that.

This isn't a crop (apart from removing stacking artifacts around the edges) - so yes the nebula really is this big (but faint!) - but this is a 6-inch scope at 1200mm focal length.

Wahoo, it is nice image of this nebula but the background is not nice. It is too soft and too dark. Also when we have look on the stars, it is like the stars come from another one univers. I think you should reprocess it and make the mask much clear to get a better mixing.  

Franck

• 4 weeks later...

Archived