NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

UFO_Capture Software

tooth_dr

My friend has a nice meteor camera setup and he says that he uses UFO Capture software to automatically record meteors.  I cant remember what hardware he is using, but is it something that I could try out with either a Skyris 618c or a Mintron 12V6 EX?  I have a few short FL lenses, 2.8 and 3.6mm, and I appreciate it wont cover all the sky.

Does it record a live feed or does it need long exposure images? 

Thanks in advance.

Adam.

21 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

I don't know that particular piece of software, but the way meteor capture and motion detection software works is by continually capturing (lets say 5 seconds of video) and only writing the video to the hard drive when motion is detected, including the lead in 5 seconds of video.

Cheers Peter

Would you be familiar with other software?

28 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

I've used HandyAvi which has motion detection, meteor trails, astro imaging (lunar / planetary) time lapse and stop frame animation functions.

Thanks Peter, had a look at it and that looks really useful, and a bit cheaper than £130.

I've tried to connect my Mintron to the video capture USB device I have but cant seem to work out how to do it.  I must have lost a lead somewhere along the way.  S-video to S-video should work ok rather than using the Coax?

If you are purely going to be doing meteor capture videos for pleasure, then UFO Capture is probably a bit over the top given that it costs around £128 for a licence.  Handy AVI will od much of what UFOcapture does for around £30.  The only real disadvantage of HandyAVI when using it purely for pleasure is that it gives you many more slow moving false positives.  (fast moving clouds, aeroplanes, bats and the ISS)

25 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Thanks Peter, had a look at it and that looks really useful, and a bit cheaper than £130.

I've tried to connect my Mintron to the video capture USB device I have but cant seem to work out how to do it.  I must have lost a lead somewhere along the way.  S-video to S-video should work ok rather than using the Coax?

You'll need an analogue to digital video converter.  The best bet is the EZCap (not the slightly cheaper copies on Ebay)

http://www.ezcap.tv/

9 minutes ago, michaelmorris said:

You'll need an analogue to digital video converter.  The best bet is the EZCap (not the slightly cheaper copies on Ebay)

http://www.ezcap.tv/

Thanks Michael, I have something like that, got it off Bern a while ago.  But it just has the red yellow and white plugs and an S-video plug.  I have only the coax lead with my Mintron.  I wonder what is the best way of getting them to connect together?

This is what I got:

https://www.modernastronomy.com/shop/cameras/astro-video/mintron-astro-video/mintron-12v6hc-ex-mono-camera-complete-kit/

Archived