Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Guide/Planetary Camera Recommendations

scitmon

I'm looking to buy a guide camera for my setup, but I figured I may as well pay a little bit extra and buy a good planetary/lunar camera that can do both jobs.  FLO seem to recommend https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-cameras/zwo-asi224mc-usb-3-colour-camera.html as being the best "bang for you buck", but I'm wondering if anyone has any other opinions on this?

1 hour ago, Owmuchonomy said:

If I was in your position I would go mono not Colour.  At our latitudes we are stuck with imaging the Sun and Moon for a few years. What is the scope you are intending using with camera?

I haven't got a long focal length scope yet, just the Evostar 80ED, but that doesn't mean I won't get one in the future.  I thought it might save me buying twice in the future.

If you won't be going huge focal length for a while I would look around for a second hand mono guide cam and concentrate on your wide field kit. Something like a mono Lodestar.  You can then choose a more up to date planetary cam when the time comes.  These bits of kit evolve all the time.

Archived