SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sharpless 2-261 (Lower's Nebula) in Orion - SHO (Hubble Palette)

MrsGnomus

In the absence of any decent weather for imaging in the U.K. this is my latest effort at processing data from DSW.  

Processed using a combination of Astro Pixel Processor, Pixinsight and Photoshop.

Data were captured between 3 October and 20 November 2017

Ha 21 x 1800s

OIII 12 x 1800s

SII 14 x 1800s 

for a total of 23.5 hours exposure.

EEF0FD5A-FC4C-4A38-8820-1A954FCF193F.jpeg

On 17/12/2017 at 13:31, lux eterna said:

Well done, capturing such a faint object !

I can’t take the credit for the actual capture as the data is from Deep Sky West in New Mexico. It appears as if by magic on our processing PC via Google drive when the capture for any individual object has completed.  I think that Steve (gnomus) and Barry (Wilson) are considering having another go at it from the rig that we they have just set up at E-EyE.  They will obviously have a lot more ‘ownership’ of the data from E-EyE as all three of us were out there in early November setting everything up.  We have never been to DSW although Steve has driven past its location en-route to and from Raton on a couple of occasions.

14 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

That's fabulous. Really good calls on the processing. I don't know this object at all.

Thanks Olly

You can tell that I do pay some attention and pick things up when you and Steve are busy processing in the ‘man cave’ at Les Granges!

15 hours ago, Barry-Wilson said:

Remniscent of the Eye of Horus, very accomplished processing Lis.  I really like the warm orangey hues.  A great image, congratulations.

Thanks Barry.  Steve insists that it looks like a brain while I think it looks like a medieval gargoyle - the central part of the top half of the nebula reminds me of the head of the Lincoln Imp 

https://goo.gl/images/6QWnbB

15 hours ago, gorann said:

Yes, expert processing there! I also just pressed "like" on your husband's RGB version of it posted on Astrobin. A new nebula to me. Will you do the NB and he the RGB in the future?

Thanks Gorann. The plan was that I would do this one as Steve has plenty of E-EyE and other DSW data to process. As is usually the case though he couldn’t resist having a go at it himself. So far he has limited himself to the LRGB but no doubt he will have a go at ‘improving’ the NB image at some point as well.

Archived