Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CG5 mount capacity

jollyjack

Have a C6S on a CG5, very happy so far. Am thinking of a bigger Newtonian, maybe 10". Thought about a Dob, but have a rock steady mount already, so qestion is, will the CG5 be able to accommodate a 10" comfortably? It's a rock steady 2" steel legged tripod with very little vibration on grass. Will the mount perform and balance properly with a 10" OTA onboard. Anyone with experience in this field?

Sorry, no direct experience, but some data. I would say "maybe for visual" but "probably not for photo".

I had a CG5 that came with a 9.25" SCT. It was useable visually, but definitely on the limit of stability. Quite jiggly focusing at moderate powers, and long damping time if bumped. With a 4" refractor, the CG5 was rock-solid and excellent. (That's the 4" on the CG5 in the avatar photo to the left.) (The 9.25 is now comfortable and stable on a Losmandy G11.)

I would imagine your 10" Newtonian would be both as heavy as my 9.25" SCT was, and quite a bit longer, adding additional moment-arm stress to the mount, so I imagine it would be slightly less stable. Maybe still useable, but probably near the limits.

- Richard

Thanks for the replies. Bit of a quandry here. If I had a 10" Newt to mount on the CG5, I would probably like to try some imaging, otherwise a Dob would be more than adequate for visual, am reasonable at star hopping using my SCT so a large Dobsonian appeals. Sounds like an OTA that size will need a bigger Equatorial mount.

Now not sure whether to get a 10/12" Dob for visual, an 8" reflector for my existing mount or another complete OTA/10" mount!.... Good job I'm off to sea next year for a chance to save up some money!

Having just switched to a large dob, i can safely say it's a far better visual experience than a large newt on an EQ. So much easier. And not just to setup but in use too. The large EQ Newt is an awkward beast.

Russ

I used to have a 10" f5 Newt on a EQ6 (the HEQ5 would also take OKish) and I can safely say "never again". Nice views but it was far too awkward for me to use comfortably, I've now got a 8" f5 on a HEQ5 and thats the biggest Newt I find usuable when EQ mounted, anything bigger and I'd look at an EQ mounted SCT/ Big Dob combination.

I agree with those who are saying a 10" newt on EQ mount is a royal pain in the watsit! I had a refractor then thought i`d upgrade to a large reflector... What a joke it was! Forever turning the ota in the tube rings and contorting myself to move the thing around. Ive now gone back to a refractor and what a joy it is sitting on my lil camping stool to view near the zenith. Not perfect i admit but so much easier and whilst the AR6 doesn`t have the light grasp of my old Orion Optics 10" newt, the ease of use out ways this loss of photons! I would like a 12" dob though!

My tuppance worth,

Regards

John

Archived