Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mac OS X and oaCapture software

Andy Rose UK

Hi everyone,

I have a Celestron Powerseeker 80EQ telescope and I am trying to hook it up to a Celestron Skyris 132C to enable me to take a few pictures of the moon etc. My pc is a MacBook Pro running "High Sierra 10.13.3 public Beta " release operating system. Initially I could retrieve a very grainy image in monochrome. very limited controls. Now when I run the software it bombs out to an error report, a copy of which I attach.

Has anyone else had any experience of this and could you help me get this working please. 

Thanks 

Andrew Rose

OACAPTURE FAILURE.pdf

Hi Andy and welcome to SGL, James F the guy who wrote the program is around the forum but I think he's a bit busy today.

I'm using it on El Capitan MBP with a Skyris 274 mono and it works OK  but there have been issues in the past with Apple updates messing with the USB protocols.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info regarding oaCapture, Hopefully James will getting touch when he is free for a chat. I think the best strategy here is to get it working if possible and then not upgrade the OS when Apple release one of their very frequent updates. 

Are there any additional drivers needed as there are with MS Windows?

Andy

That looks rather horrible :( Unfortunately High Sierra had only just been released when oacapture 1.2.0 was done and I'd not had a chance to properly test with it at that point.  I think it takes about ten hours for me to download a new release of OSX using all my bandwidth, so I tend to save that sort of thing up for times when I know I won't need internet access for anything else  :)

Only last night I installed 10.13.2 so I'll have a go with that as soon as I can and see what happens.  Not desperately keen to install a beta release at the moment if I can avoid it as I don't have much disk space on my macbook even disregarding the bandwidth issue, but I'll see if I can sort something out.

James

Just tried what should be the 1.3.0 release on High 10.13.2 with a Skyris 132C and it seems to work fine.  I get a colour image (you may need to enable demosaic for that to work).

I'll try dropping back to 1.2.0 to see what happens with that.

James

Looks like 1.2.0 works with the 132C on 10.13.2 as well, though oddly it doesn't seem to receive any images until I change the frame rate control.  No idea why that should be.  I don't recall it behaving that way before.

If it's possible to boot off an external Thunderbolt or USB3 SSD I might get one so I can keep a few more versions of OSX available at once.

In other (and mostly irrelevant :)) news, my new IMG132E driver appears to work happily on High Sierra too.

James

Archived