NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Nice Tool

Alien 13

I think there have been a few topics on here regarding Kit oscilloscopes and there usefulness for general debugging of mounts/motors and lots of other astro related kit as well as all those lovely projects I like to build.

I bought the DSO 150 which is an upgrade on the popular DSO138 the main difference is its small overall size and the inclusion of a rotary encoder for adjustments.

The unit is powered off 9V and I chose to use a standard 5V powerbank with a 5-9V converter, the scope cost about £35 but I opted for a version with the extras like a proper X10 probe (they can be got for around £20) I also bought a 10A battery bank for £11 and the converter was about £8.

5a2edd081d67b_81waX31uyL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.fbb92b491cc480a38fe23527edb4bd4e.jpg

81Dpd2ymRdL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.dffaa6b14114d096706ebcd27970d8a1.jpg

71DUo5xVpaL._SL1200_.thumb.jpg.cda6660e9218d1280dc5c0588508ebb5.jpg

81LQVdO5LzL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.dee3bbf6a9dc54f82593aa21e4714b7b.jpg

I will say that the kit would require previous experience, a decent temp controlled soldering iron and a multimeter.

Alan

1 minute ago, Gina said:

That looks a lot better than mine :)

I think its the same basic package as the one you have Gina, the screen is identical but they have shrunk it down a bit. The good thing was that they included a full circuit diagram in the kit so I may tinker a little, a useful addition would be to have an option for ext sync.

Alan

I bought it off Amazon with next day delivery but you can get them cheaper if you want a wait..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076HD5862/ref=sspa_dk_detail_6?psc=1

I opted for this simply because I wanted a proper probe.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06Y1T6WZ9/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?smid=A1TIGMJ4AZ1K1A&psc=1

Alan

4 minutes ago, Gina said:

I think I might get that - the one with the proper probe.

It looked good value when you consider the price of a decent probe which is switchable between X1 and X10.. The fact that it was genuine UK stocked item is also worth a few quid in my view :icon_biggrin:

Alan

My new oscilloscope kit arrived today and looks very nice.  Proper case instead of the one made of lots of pieces of acrylic sheet.  The whole construction looks vastly better too. :) The old one I thought a right bodge-up!  I think I may dump that and re-use my power unit with the new one.  It uses a 3v Li-Ion rechargeable battery and buck converter to increase to voltage to 9v, with a USB Li-Ion charger module.  Or I might just take the battery pack off the back of the old one and convert it back to what it was.  It might be useful to have more than one oscilloscope to watch more than one waveform :D  The battery pack can go in a new 3D printed case with two 9v outputs.

Another little project to add to my list :D  Something to do when I get fed up with the major projects :D

That was quick Gina, I was surprised that the instructions are quite good, the only bit that I found confusing was the mounting of the rotary control and it being different with the various versions but worked it out by doing a test assemble before soldering it, noticed later that the version/type number is on the brown box it came in..

Alan

Looks neat, I like the 'proper' shell and rotary control. The reviews are good.

As I don't actually need one (I have a Hameg dual trace) but I do want one I've ordered one of Bangood for £16.16! It probably won't arrive until 2019...

I have a couple of X1/X10 probe sets :icon_biggrin:

1 minute ago, Stub Mandrel said:

As I don't actually need one (I have a Hameg dual trace) but I do want one I've ordered one of Bangood for £16.16! It probably won't arrive until 2019...

I might get another but will get that from China via snail mail too...I have even used mine in anger its so intuitive to use with the addition of the rotary control.

Alan

• 1 month later...
On 13/12/2017 at 16:54, Stub Mandrel said:

How prophetic! It arrived in the early New Year.

I've made it now and it's damn good and very capable. Looking at JYE Tech's website they are not fly by nights. I am sure my kit was kosher looking at their website. It's amazing what facilities it has.

Remembering a discussion elsewhere on SGL I have wired up an old phone battery to a LiON charger module, a switch and a variable voltage booster set at 9.00V. These work and I will 3D print a case for them that also holds the DSO Shell.

It's quite scary to use my cheap multimeter on the cheap kit and find all the supposedly accurate resistors are within 1% of nominal values and that the cheap (pence) variable voltage board seems to work to a precision of +/-0.01 volt. It's amazing how cheap good electronics are! (Or is that how good cheap electronics are?)

Archived